My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Freemasons, Is Banning Gays Or Being Gay Un-Masonic? : NPR

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
That's the way I interpreted at first. I lived in London, UK most of my life. I'm tempted to say that that's what we generally mean over here.

After one other post, I did look up "dirty laundry" on the Oxford Dictionary, which confirmed that dirty laundry was Personal or private affairs that one does not want to be made public.

However when I looked it up on dictionary.com (which is prevalently US English) it said personal or private matters that could cause embarrassment if made public.

They are two rather different interpretations of dirty laundry.

While I value my privacy and don't feel the need to divulge my private life left, right and center, (I believe that's my British bit) I hope that we'll never get (or return) to a point where if one was outed that would be a source of any lengthy embarrassment (or worse).

Said that, if I wanted to talk about some of my private matters, wouldn't a Brother be the best man to confide in? I cannot answer that from experience yet, but I would hope so.

My understanding of dirty laundry is the second one. But even if I had been using the first one none of my comments would have changed. Because I am not talking about the public. I am talking about the brotherhood.

I share your belief that brother should be able to confide in his brother.