For Freemasons, Is Banning Gays Or Being Gay Un-Masonic? : NPR

Discussion in 'Masonic Blogs' started by My Freemasonry, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Those members who keep insisting that we “shouldn’t air our dirty laundry in public” probably aren’t pleased with this NPR story. But the fact is that by squashing discussion about some of these issues, it creates a climate – indeed, a mindset – that we should *never* talk about some of these issues. We can’t […][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Listened.... Bro Cook comments..

3. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

I see this 2 ways. Don't ask, don' tell. But if is being flaunted, then there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

4. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

I never heard it

5. David612

David612 Registered User

What bearing does being gay have on masonry?
    As far as I can see and In my experience, there is nothing in our organisation that should exclude a gay man from entering our ranks and enjoying the fraternity.
    I suspect there are those that carry ideals of their own or other institutions and use masonry as the scapegoat to perpetuate their bigotry.
    People who use the fraternity to forward their own, now unlawful, agenda should be brought up on charges, both Masonic and otherwise.

6. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

A man’s sexual preference has no business within the Lodge.

Until the question is blatantly asked upon the Petition for the Degrees, it has no foundation as an issue.

7. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

People like to pick and choose what they are against. For every one thing they pluck from the Bible (for example) to oppose, they ignore another 10 things. Gay men make some men uncomfortable however if someone is destroying there 'temple' everyday smoking and eating 500 grams of sugar, having diabetes, heart disease etc, that's ok. Two things that are personal things that don't effect others really. If anything, the overweight, unhealthy guy makes our healthcare costs go up for example. (I know some people can't help these things but many can and it's lifestyle choices that cause this) A brother can be uncomfortable with homosexuality and even oppose it but their beliefs, whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish or whatever, never trumps Masonic beliefs and ideals. They are not to bring up what their VSL says on the matter since we aren't supposed to talk about religion in lodge. We are Free and Accepted Masons and have to be accepting of others as well.

rpbrown, Warrior1256 and Bloke like this.
  8. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

None on Masonry.

However, on Freemasonry... that depends upon your Grand Lodge.

goomba and rpbrown like this.
  9. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Agreed.
    Also agreed.

10. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Discussion brings sectarian religion into the lodge and is thus a landmark violation. While we can name religions that disapprove the list of religions that are silent on the topic is very long. That makes it a slam dunk sectarian religious topic. For some Brothers all religious discussion is banned in our assemblies. For others only sectarian religious discussion. It's generally hard to discuss any religious topic without tripping over the sectarian line.

This crossing of the sectarian religious line is why CA pulled recognition from TN. So far I haven't heard that being rescinded.

Bloke likes this.
  11. Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776 Registered User

A moot issue, IMHO. People generally associate with those who they feel comfortable being around and share common interests. I believe a known homosexual might have difficulty getting the required signatures on his petition. And, even if he did, a black ball would likely be dropped. But, if there is a gay man in Lodge not flaunting a different 'lifestyle', I say, let him be and accept as any other Brother.

12. rpbrown

rpbrown Premium Member

I agree

13. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

As I've said before, I don't think there is a line of effeminate gay men beating down the doors to hang out with a bunch of middle aged to older men discussing pancake dinners and shot gun raffles.

14. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

Completely agree! I have zero interest hearing about ANYONE'S sexual preference nor exploits. It has no place in Lodge nor should it be a concern of any of it's members.

TheThumbPuppy, tldubb, Bloke and 2 others like this.
  15. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

Are you trying to say something along the lines that I may be unattractive?? ;)

16. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Lol, well, I don't think gay men would join Masonry to hook-up. But, I can't answer that question lolol. I don't get down like that haha.

17. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Lol....likely very true.
    LOL!!!!

CLewey44 likes this.
  18. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

The only time I could ever conceive of a problem would be if two lodge members were partners and had a disagreement, although I would hope that if Freemasonry had done its job, they would not bring that disagreement into the lodge and disturb the peace and harmony. Other than that, I don't see why the sexuality of a brother is any of my business our concern.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

CLewey44 likes this.
  19. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

I guess this depends on what it means to "flaunt".

20. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Had something similar in a lodge when a visiting brother was jilted by s member of the lodge. The visitor was eventually barred from visiting.

Warrior1256 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry