Form of Address

Discussion in 'Masonic Jurisprudence' started by NY.Light, Nov 21, 2014.

1. MaineMason

MaineMason Registered User

So I have the right to be called "The Honourable" (spelled in the British way) and also "Colonel".

2. MaineMason

The Commision is given by the Governor and the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

3. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

The important thing to remember about being a Kentucky Colonel is that the Governor's name on the commission is larger than the recipient's.

MaineMason likes this.
  4. Glen Cook

Mr. Grand Master? Ugh, no.

5. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

I'm a Kentucky Colonel, but I've misplaced my certificate.

6. MaineMason

Yes and in this particular situation it's nice to know that the Governor is a Democrat.

7. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

[​IMG] This is a Kentucky Colonel

As for addressing the GM ... if you are a non mason, Mr is just fine.

8. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

That is what i pictured till he explained

9. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

Oh I didn't know it's a Fraternal organisation now, I though it's just an pure honorary title with no organisational structure.
    Is it just like us in Freemasonry, 2B1ASK1 or need to do something great to be one of it?
    Sorry for lacking knowledges of US things because I'm based in UK and also sorry for the off topic.

MaineMason likes this.
  10. MaineMason

It actually has an organisation, called the Honourble Order of Kentucky Colonels but only the Governor of Kentucky can bestow the honor, I hope that makes it clear. I will add that many Brits are Kentucky Colonels as well just like many Americans and others are honourary OBE's. I know one particularly vain Anglican Priest in Boston who loves to use his OBE title in the church's bulletin, :).

11. MaineMason

A lot of people are Kentucky Colonels including former President Reagan and Whoopie Goldberg. It is an honor that is given out for cause and I'm sure Col. Sanders earned his honor as well. It's fun to make fun of but many people would be surprised how many of the kind of people you'd expect have receive it. It certainly is NOT Masonry!

12. Glen Cook

Actually, Col. Sanders was a Kentucky Colonel. It really isn't that big a deal to get one. Our Imperial Shrine Committee Chair obtained commissions for all the committee members one year. All my law partners are Colonels.

The Colonel tickets for the Derby are a fun experience.

13. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

Ah... Interesting to know that, I didn't know there's an organisation attached to it.
    Thank you Brother for sharing.

14. NY.Light

NY.Light Registered User

I'm going to apply soon for an OBE. If I get it, you'll be sure Ill use it.

MBC likes this.
  15. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Congrats, and I like you even if you are a yankee. lol

16. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

In the early days of the US republic guys met in the summer between planting and harvesting. They drilled as militia units. Men knew their rank in the militia. Read the books about Lewis and Clark - They were Captains in the regular Army (a story of its own) and Generals in the militia.

I take it the Kentucky Colonel society evolved from that history rather like we evolved from the guilds.

17. jwardl

jwardl Registered User

Well this thread has evolved...

BTW: In Texas, we have a state honor such as that of a Kentucky Colonel: Admiral in the Texas Navy. In fact, our 2013 GM, Walter W. Rogers, was awarded this honor at our GAC in December.

18. Glen Cook

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015

Share My Freemasonry