My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freemason Lodges in Prison ??

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
So is the position that no matter how many regular brethren may be in a prison, under no circumstances should they hold a lodge?
Under GLoTX law, any Mason who is convicted of a felony is automatically expelled. Thus, any GLoTX Mason in prison is no longer in good standing and may not, under any circumstances, hold or participate in any Lodge of any kind.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I suppose that brotherly love would resume the minute that the felon made a successful appeal against the conviction.
Under GLoTX Law, the exonerated man has the right to apply for restoration and reinstatement, but such is NOT automatic.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I suppose that brotherly love would resume the minute that the felon made a successful appeal against the conviction.

In Illinois a brother on appeal is suspended pending the outcome of the appeal. It takes a vote of his lodge plus GM permission to remove the suspension.

In all 3 of my jurisdictions convicted brothers are expelled automatically.

In the 2 jurisdictions where I have attended GL there are descriptions of the crimes of every expelled brother but not the names. Sometimes it is easy to figure out if you've paid attention to the news. When all of their reparations are complete they may apply for reinstatement. At that point their names are discussed.

The number is never high enough for a clandestine lodge of expelled former brothers to form in prison.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
The way I see it, there are a few things going on here.

Are they clandestine? Almost certainly yes. The definition of clandestine is operating without a charter from a recognized Grand Lodge. Technically, there COULD be a recognized Grand Lodge out there that has granted a charter similar to traveling military lodges, but I doubt it.

Next, is the comparison to lodges in POW camps. Everyone is saying it is different; no it's not. These were meetings of Masons without a charter because they were being confined against their will and did not have access to regular lodges. The reason for their imprisonment doesn't matter FOR THIS ISSUE.

Now, the issue of convicted felons. I've never done an exhaustive compilation of the standings of every single recognized Grand Lodge and their stance on convicted felons. So let's play it out. IF there was a Grand Lodge that allowed convicted felons, and IF all of the inmates were regular, fully paid up members of that particular Grand Lodge, then I would see this as the same situation as the POW camps. However, those are both highly unlikely. In most jurisdictions, the brothers would be immediately expelled upon conviction meaning that they all would be clandestine.

As some others have mentioned, I have no idea how you could carry out the rituals in prison, although I guess if prison tattoos and gang rape go unnoticed, it's certainly possible.

As a side note, unrelated to the whole prison thing, I've always disliked the contention that we aren't allowed to meet unless it's with the permission of the Grand Lodge. It's basically saying 'you can't talk to your brothers unless Big Brother says so'. Some people criticize us as being a cult, and in this regard, I definitely think they have some basis for their argument.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Id have him intro you to the other "brothers" and find out what they got going on....and as asked before where the hell are they meeting? Amd if i was in prison there is no way in hell im willingly letting any one blind fold me and put something around my neck
I can't speak to the other guys because he "supposedly got raised" in a state prison. I work for a county sheriffs office. There is no doubt they are clandestine masons. But how would you know there were guys/ groups performing degrees in Prison if no one took the time out to listen to the cowans ? Lol all he has done is further educated me on bogus masonry.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Well he stated that he learned all he knows from former active regular masons.
I would bet most masons in prison would have been expelled. I'm speaking from my jurisdiction anyway.

You are still bound to your oath or obligation...

You break those oaths the moment you communicate those secrets to someone in prison. Expelled or not.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Am I the only one that thinks it odd that brotherly love only flows when Grand Lodge approves?
Yes, as it is not based on a fact. Your obedience may not have rules on criminals, but every recognized jurisdiction of which I'm aware does. To find them excluded is a natural consequence. They can and should be loved as a humans.

Tell us how you've reached out to a Prisoner lately

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Agreed. I was a correctional officer for 29 years, working in 4 different institutions and I never heard of "prison" Masons.
Just because you didn't hear about them doesn't mean they weren't there brother. The guy said there was wasn't much of them, but don't forget how many it takes to open a lodge of master masons.