My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting kicked out of the line

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
There shouldn't be politics in the lodge. If we don't punish and restrict this behavior then we are actually encouraging it.
In any organization where voting occurs politics is already present! When a person has a certain point of view and works to bring his view into the lodge is that wrong? If two or more men that share a certain view work together to support this view point in the lodge is this wrong? Who decides which point of view is right / wrong or is best for the lodge? The answer to all is the majority of the lodge members, I.E...eligible voters.

Schuetz

Unfortunately, a majority can be wrong, too. Pulling up ghost members to manipulate an election for one Brother's selfish ambitions is simply wrong. True, we can't dispute the outcome of an election, but it's folly to think that a Lodge as a whole can do no wrong just because of a "sacred" majority. We as Masons are instructed to be upright men of virtues and morals. The reality is that we are still human and can certainly let bad decisions get the better of us.

Q. E. L. Schuetz, M.M.
Shekinah Lodge No. 241 • IL
Murphysboro Lodge No. 498 • IL

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
True, we can't dispute the outcome of an election, but it's folly to think that a Lodge as a whole can do no wrong just because of a "sacred" majority.
I never said that a majority of votes is sacred, hallowed or anything like that. I'm simply saying that the majority vote rules because that is the way the system is set up. Is the system perfect? No. Does the system sometimes fail? Yes. But it does work well the vast majority of the time. If the lodge is going in a way that an individual does not like that person has three choices....work within the lodge environment to change the attitudes of the members in such a way as the situation goes more to that individual's liking... if that is not possible work within the existing environment as best as you can and be as happy with the situation as possible....if that is not possible demit from the lodge in question and affiliate with a lodge that more reflects the individual's values.

Schuetz

Well I, perfectly agree. Unfortunately, these (hopefully) rare instances are the kind of thing that can really bring a Lodge down if it goes unchecked. Because of things similar to this, my mother lodge is lingering and in danger of having its charter pulled.

Q. E. L. Schuetz, M.M.

jermy Bell

Well I, perfectly agree. Unfortunately, these (hopefully) rare instances are the kind of thing that can really bring a Lodge down if it goes unchecked. Because of things similar to this, my mother lodge is lingering and in danger of having its charter pulled.

Q. E. L. Schuetz, M.M.
You should see Centralia's lodge. They've drug the lodge down to its knees. It's things like this that keep good people out . and once you've had enough it's just time to leave ans let the lodge gasp it's last dying breath.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Well I, perfectly agree. Unfortunately, these (hopefully) rare instances are the kind of thing that can really bring a Lodge down if it goes unchecked.
Very true.
It's things like this that keep good people out . and once you've had enough it's just time to leave ans let the lodge gasp it's last dying breath.
....and in this way the problem takes care of itself.

Last edited: