My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting kicked out of the line

Levelhead

Premium Member
That sounds more fair. I seen true colors. It was a dim light to see it through but i saw it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In lodges under the GL of Scotland only Qualified Members present at a meeting can vote in an election.

That's the norm in my jurisdictions as well. I've only ever seen proxies at Grand Lodge. I have seen members I never knew existed come out of the woodwork, though, and sway an unpopular vote.
One of the benefits of now being in a lodge with thirteen voting members...

Levelhead

Premium Member
That's the norm in my jurisdictions as well. I've only ever seen proxies at Grand Lodge. I have seen members I never knew existed come out of the woodwork, though, and sway an unpopular vote.
One of the benefits of now being in a lodge with thirteen voting members...

Im actually happy to hear that stuff actually happens to other people. Thought i was just me.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I've only ever seen proxies at Grand Lodge.

The GL proxies I've seen were elected by the lodge. Not the same procedure. What I read here was more like voting corporate stock. Interesting rule for some jurisdictions to have.

I have seen members I never knew existed come out of the woodwork, though, and sway an unpopular vote.[/QUOTE]

One of my lodges was in trouble. The candidate flow had dried up and regulars were burning out. We officers put out a vote to consolidate. Many came out of the woodwork to vote no. None of them became regulars so nothing changed. A year later we put out the same paperwork. This time no one came out of the woodwork. We consolidated. We supplied a few solid line members, many active regular volunteers, a few annual events and a good investment portfolio. The lodge that absorbed us supplied a good but incomplete line, enough active regulars, a few annual events and an empty bank account. It was a good merger as the lodge continues strong a decade later. I was in Arlington Heights 1162. I'm now in Barrington 522. My first time through the line we accepted merging lodges, so I've seen consolidations from both sides of the fence.

BullDozer Harrell

What's done is done. I would advise you to make up your mind today whether or not you want to stay in this particular lodge which you feel has 'wronged' you.

If you stay then it's important for you to grin & bear it. You've taken it to your DDGM, and your GL is aware of your grievance. Honestly the big wigs probably won't meddle in the matter. So more than likely much to your chagrin, it's a closed issue.

Personally i would stop calling it cheating me of something. Advancement to the next seat is not a right. Moreover since you& the newly elected WM are not working well together, maybe it's best that you not be the 2nd in command under him.

It sounds like you& him have some personal stuff going on which can adversely affect the administration and morale of your lodge.

Get your peace of mind starting today. Vent less and let events play out naturally.

Men make plans sometimes and God laughs at their designs on the trestleboard of life.

Sent from my SM-T377P using My Freemasonry mobile app

Levelhead

Premium Member
Thx! Good advice! Ive realized that my DDGM wont touch it as theres a PMW as a member. Guess thats a nono for him. Oh well. Keep on truckin!

Rifleman1776

Like it or not, it sound like a legal vote. However, the "proxy" thing is foreign to me as far as being practiced in a Lodge. Might be legal where you are, I don't know. I just hope you can square things with the sw and both of you continue your relationship in a Brotherly manner. If not possible, another Lodge might be your best choice.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Got kicked out of the line. Demitted from that loge and stayed a member of my home lodge. Never went back to any lodge to this day.

I pay my yearly dues but refuse to do the voluntary contribution to the GLOF as i refuse to contribute to the pay of people who dont do their job.

-Levelhead

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I had spoke to the ddgm earlier in the year and told him about the situation.
Well, I am now a DDGM and have been directed by the Grand Master not to take sides in internal arguments within lodges. In The Grand Lodge Of Kentucky the DDGM is the eyes and ears of the Grand Master and only insures that the lodge is being conducted according to the Constitution of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky. Who is or is not elected to an officer position within a lodge is strictly up to the members (voters) of the lodge. Therefore, the DDGM has no authority to get involved as long as there was no violation of the Constitution during the election process.

Last edited:

jermy Bell

I understand the brother's issue to clearly. The lodge I was raised in was just like this. Full of bigots, back stabbing trash talkers. And I've seen the whole elected thing to. It was basically who was your buddies. After I seen this I wondered, what did I get myself into ? This was almost as bad as high school. But with grown men. Now, I'm just a kid (so to speak) just now 5 years in masonry. But we preach about our obligations, but they don't interfere with anything or anyone or to ourselves. And we are our brothers keeper. When we have people who are dirty, we can't do anything about it. You can't kick them out, you can't take a chair away , nothing ! But to sit and suffer or quit. I know there is gonna be a bit of backlash on this. But we're all brothers and children of that one mighty parent. But we can't stand and claim that we are men of honor and stress truth relief and brotherly love when we continue to let people like this control the environment in our lodges. Especially when our numbers are declining.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
You can't kick them out, you can't take a chair away , nothing !
They can be removed from the officer line....by a majority vote of the members!
But we can't stand and claim that we are men of honor and stress truth relief and brotherly love when we continue to let people like this control the environment in our lodges.
Once again, a majority vote of the members can remove anyone from direct control of a lodge as well as replace anyone that they deem are abusing their office. If someone is violating the Constitution of their Grand Lodge then non-members of the lodge can step in and take corrective action. Unless or until this happens majority vote rules.

jermy Bell

Nothing new in that. You might not like it but if they are members in good standing they can vote and you, unfortunately, lost the election. It is politics.
There shouldn't be politics in the lodge. If we don't punish and restrict this behavior then we are actually encouraging it.