GLoTX Resolutions

Discussion in 'Freemasonry In Texas' started by Blake Bowden, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

The other night was the first time I read the various resolutions being proposed and some of them didn't make any sense. Per the request of the GLoTX, I won't post the various resolutions in detail, but I think a discussion is warranted.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Bobby V likes this.
  2. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

I personally AM in favor of #1 because, besides seeing reasons that it could be beneficial, it leaves the decision up to the individual Lodges- something which I generally prefer unless there is overwhelming evidence that Grand Lodge guidance is needed.

I am AGAINST 2014 #11, because it removes all prohibitions against the Board members borrowing, loaning, or receiving MH&S funds. WHY?

I AM in favor of #13, although I find it sad that sometimes we cannot seem to get enough Brethren together to hold a proper Masonic funeral service, especially on a weekday. Better to have the option of a service that can be performed by one Brother than not have a service at all.

3. Raymond Walters

Raymond Walters Premium Member

[Grand Masters Recommendation No. 3. (I DO NOT SUPPORT) This one basically gives a fast track to deadbeat EA's and FC's a way to skip learning the work in favor of some program. In my opinion, something like this will ultimately lead to one day classes.

Your thoughts?]

Without having access to the actual resolution and based on your description, I would be against this specific resolution also.

Many years ago, when my employment required me to be in another part of the United States, my Texas lodge arranged for courtesy work to be done in the state I was transferred to, but I was still required to learn and return a GLoTx proficiency to my lodge in San Antonio, which I did do after having learned and returned proficiency in the lodge that performed courtesy work for my lodge... if I can do it, so can all others who come after.

Bro. Stewart P.M. and Bill Lins like this.
  4. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

To me the prohibition on weapons is a part of the preparation of candidates not applicable to members. My bias is my mother lodge had a lot of current law enforcement officers who kept their pieces in a bag under their chair during meetings.

I read through this year's list and nothing made me want to stand up and shout. Routine list this year. I liked that one of the proposals was written by Br Bill Lins a regular poster here.

Bill Lins likes this.
  5. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

I'm against recommendation # 3 for the same reasons as Blake. It will cheapen the fraternity just to create a few more dues paying masons.

There was another resolution, I don't recall which it was, but it would effectively increase the minimal dues around the state to around $70. I don't mind higher dues, so long as they are supporting local lodges. I'll be honest, this strikes me as another attempt to get more money for the Grand Lodge building.

6. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Seems to be the trend lately.

Bill Lins and Raymond Walters like this.
  7. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I'm not sure how raising dues at a lodge level would fund the grand lodge building, unless per capita was specifically raised as well.

8. JMartinez

JMartinez Registered User

I'm surprised the "Mason in a day" program is actually being seriously considered. I'll be going to the GLoTX this weekend. Hope to see some best friends I didn't know I had.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

BroBill and Bill Lins like this.
  9. JJones

What I mean is that I don't mind paying higher dues if its a local lodge decision and the dues benefit the lodge. In this case the minimal dues would increase by almost $50 and the money goes to Grand Lodge.

10. David Duke

David Duke Premium Member

I assume we are talking about #3. The way I read it all above the per capita will go to the Lodge. All it is saying is local Dues must be a minimum of $50 + per-capita. Nothing but the per-capita will go to GL.

David Duke
    Secretary
    Sam B Crawford #1418
    New Caney, TX

JJones and BroBill like this.
  11. JJones

I just re-read and you appear to be correct. Thank you for clearing that up.

12. Bill Lins

Don't worry- it failed.

kmfisher1 and Bro. Stewart P.M. like this.
  13. texasmason84

texasmason84 Registered User

I spoke against resolution number 3. I am glad it failed. I do not like the idea of Grand Lodge telling the constituent Lodges how much they have to charge.

Bill Lins likes this.
  14. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

>This resolution would basically allow handguns into the Lodge room

Is there any other country in the world that takes guns into the lodge?

15. JJones

It was my understanding that this resolution passed?

Can anyone that was present for the entire session post the results?

16. Benjamin Baxter

Benjamin Baxter Moderator Staff Member

Ok this is what I have from this weekend:

Grand Master's recommendation no.3 hold over 2015 - Passed

Resolution no.11 hold over 2014 -Passed

Resolution no.14 hold over 2015 - Passed

Resolution no.1 - Passed

Resolution no.2 - Passed

Resolution no.3 - Failed

Resolution no.4 - Passed

Resolution no.5 - Failed

Resolution no.6 - Failed

Resolution no.7 - Failed

Resolution no.8 - Tabled till 2018

Resolution no.9 - Passed

Resolution no.10 - Failed

Resolution no.11 - Failed

Resolution no.12 - Passed with amendment

Resolution no.13 - Failed

Resolution no.14 - Failed

Resolution no.15 - Passed

Resolution no.16 - Passed

Resolution no.17 - Passed

Resolution no.18 -
    Withdrawn

Resolution no.19 - Failed

GM Recommendation no.1 - Passed

GM Recommendation no.2 - Passed

GM Recommendation no.3 - Failed

Also, New Grand Junior Warden is Paul D. Underwood

17. JJones

Thank you!

18. Benjamin Baxter

No problem, brother...

19. Benjamin Baxter

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the new Grand Master Kirby came in to the Star Wars imperial march. Pretty cool!

Bro. Stewart P.M. likes this.
  20. Bill Lins

One thing to mention- GM's recommendation no.3 hold over 2015 passed as amended. The parts removing all prohibitions against the Board members borrowing, loaning, or receiving MH&S funds were reinstated. We were told they were not intended to be removed. Also, there was a Resolution #20, involving the changing of a Lodge's name, that was inadvertently left out of the booklet. To be considered thus required a 4/5ths vote to allow. It was allowed & subsequently passed.

Benjamin Baxter likes this.

Share My Freemasonry