My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GM Edict, Widows Sons Masonic Motorcycle Riders Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemab4y

Premium Member
There is a parallel discussion, underway elsewhere on this board, under "Square and Compasses Clubs, and Widow's Sons clubs". I am not a Texas mason, but I am finding these discussions fascinating.

Lynn Graham

The misinformation is alive and well. Where in Article 225a does it state failure to be recognized would automatically constitute a violation of GL law? The Widows Sons by-laws are open to anyone because Article 506.29 strictly prohibits Texas Masons to join any organization which predicates it's membership on being a Mason. The WS by-laws are open because we are following GL law not breaking it. If you are not totally versed in the history of the Widows Sons Masonic Riders International then you will never be able to comprehend the complex issues they have faced when they have tried to exist in different Masonic jurisdictions with different Constitutions throughout the World. Simply put, there can be no uniform set of by-laws for the organization as a whole because it is impossible to do so without violating some Grand Lodge Jurisdictions Constitution. One clear example would be that here in Texas, only Past Masters have an individual vote at Grand Lodge. In many other jurisdictions, all Master Masons have a vote. The list of differences goes on and on. Unfortunately, the Grand Lodge of Texas has used printed material on the International website and assumed that the Texas Widows Sons operated in accordance with what was there. Nothing could be further from the truth. As Founder of the Widows Sons in Texas and sponser of the Resolution for recognition in 2007, I can assure everyone who is open to the truth that the Widows Sons has always worked with GLofTexas and has never thumbed our noses at them. Does anyone find it interesting that the Grand Master is a member of the Free Masons Riding Club, who did receive recognition in 2007, and that all comments concerning this edict have been stricken from the Grand Lodge website and the link for posting comments has also been removed?

owls84

Premium Member
The bottom line is no matter how bad it sucks or how much you disagree with it, the Grand Master of ALL Masons in Texas made a ruling. There are methods to appeal this ruling or to seek recognition. The law has been posted earlier and I am confident the Grand Master sought advice. The edict states if you are a mason in Texas then you are in violation of grand lodge law and subject to Masonic disciplinary action.

As a member of the WS have you attempted to contact the Grand Master? He is normally very good about speaking to you and as long as it is a civil call he will explain his ruling. I am under the impression for an edict someone had to request the action. Most of the time a Grand Master does not rule like that. I think we can do better if you guys want to educate the masses before it even gets to grand lodge for a vote. We would be happy to start threads like this to help you guys educate our members on the club and the process you guys are taking to allow masons in Texas to participate without violating a Grand Master's edict.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The Widows Sons by-laws are open to anyone because Article 506.29 strictly prohibits Texas Masons to join any organization which predicates it's membership on being a Mason. The WS by-laws are open because we are following GL law not breaking it.

I'm a bit confused here. Are you stating that one does NOT have to be a Mason in order to belong to your group?

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Where in Article 225a does it state failure to be recognized would automatically constitute a violation of GL law?

Art. 225a. Other Organizations, predicating membership on Masonic membership, recognized.

In addition to those organizations recognized in Art. 225, next above, as being entitled to use Lodgerooms and Anterooms of Subordinate Lodges, the Grand Lodge of Texas may recognize and authorize other organizations which predicate membership on Masonic membership.

Recognition and authorization must take place by approval of the Grand Lodge in Grand Communication.

After an organization has been recognized and authorized by the Grand Lodge of Texas in Grand Communication, pursuant to this Art. 225a, Texas Masons may participate in, and be a part of, such organizations.

It is clear by the above language that, if an organization requires its members to be Masons & the organization is not recognized and/or authorized by the Grand Lodge of Texas, Texas Masons may not belong to the Widows' Sons if WS requires all of its members to be Masons.

We all freely took an obligation in which we agreed to be bound by the laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas and the edicts of our Grand Master. To violate that obligation would obviously be a Masonic Disciplinary Violation.

Last edited:

Lynn Graham

I'm a bit confused here. Are you stating that one does NOT have to be a Mason in order to belong to your group?

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Art. 225a. Other Organizations, predicating membership on Masonic membership, recognized.

In addition to those organizations recognized in Art. 225, next above, as being entitled to use Lodgerooms and Anterooms of Subordinate Lodges, the Grand Lodge of Texas may recognize and authorize other organizations which predicate membership on Masonic membership.

Recognition and authorization must take place by approval of the Grand Lodge in Grand Communication.

After an organization has been recognized and authorized by the Grand Lodge of Texas in Grand Communication, pursuant to this Art. 225a, Texas Masons may participate in, and be a part of, such organizations.

It is clear by the above language that, if an organization requires its members to be Masons & the organization is not recognized and/or authorized by the Grand Lodge of Texas, Texas Masons may not belong to the Widows' Sons if WS requires all of its members to be Masons.

We all freely took an obligation in which we agreed to be bound by the laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas and the edicts of our Grand Master. To violate that obligation would obviously be a Masonic Disciplinary Violation.

That is exactly what I am stating and it has been that way since 2003. They were restricted to Masons in the beginning until we were made aware of the existing Grand Lodge law prohibiting us from doing so. We have followed Grand Lodge law since then and continue to do so. That is the bottom line. Now, where is the violation? I believe what has happened here is an innocent misstep on the part of what was our newest chapter and everyone including the Grand Master has over reacted. Because this thing has been blown out of proportion and the passions have risen to such a high pitch, I guarantee this is not the proper time to introduce a new resolution at the 2011 Grand Communication.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
It seems to me that everyone has stated the facts as they are from both sides of the debate. At this point further discussion does nothing to resolve the issue here or at Grand Lodge.

It is my humble opinion that those who are with knowledge and duly affected by this edict take proper corrective dispute with the Grand Master & Grand Lodge. If what has been said is correct, then it should not be that major an issue to get a reversal or repeal of the edict. I wish all of those involved the best of luck, I know that you will act appropriately and within good Masonic Light.

~ This Thread Is Now Closed ~

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
That is exactly what I am stating and it has been that way since 2003. They were restricted to Masons in the beginning until we were made aware of the existing Grand Lodge law prohibiting us from doing so.

If such is the case you don't need a resolution. Provide the Grand Master with proof that membership in WS is not predicated on Masonic membership and he'll have no option but to retract his edict for want of jurisdiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.