GM Edict, Widows Sons Masonic Motorcycle Riders Association

Discussion in 'Masonic Jurisprudence' started by News Feeder, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. News Feeder

News Feeder Registered User

January 6, 2011

To the Masons of Texas:

Grand Master's Edict

I have been advised that some Texas Masons presently belong to an organization operating under the name of "Widows Sons Masonic Motorcycle Riders Association". At the 2007 Grand Annual Communication this organization was denied recognition as an organization to which Texas Masons could belong.

read more

More...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  2. Benton

Benton Premium Member

Out of curiosity, since I wasn't a Mason in 2007, why was recognition not granted? Does anyone know the reason?

3. Dave in Waco

Dave in Waco Premium Member

My guess would be that it just didn't receive a majority vote to be recognized at Grand Lodge in 2007. I was not a Mason then either so it's just a guest, but it would have come up for vote at Grand Lodge in the form of a resolution. So there probably isn't just a single reason why people voted against it.

4. david918

david918 Premium Member

If I remember correctly some of their chapters(none in Texas) had a patch with a scantly clad woman on it.It was first approved then reconsidered after someone brought up the patch and then it was voted down.

5. MasonicTexan

MasonicTexan Registered User

hmm...
    scantily clad women,
    yeah that would go over great with the wives and girlfriends lol

6. JohnnyFlotsam

JohnnyFlotsam Premium Member

Wow...
    Really...
    An jacket patch set this off?
    And we're arguing about how Shriners behave... <shakes head>

Something tells me that there's a bit more to the story.

7. Dave in Waco

Dave in Waco Premium Member

No, I can see where a jacket patch would set it off. You are often forgetting the reason almost any man states when asked how he is able to do so much for Masonry, "Because my wife let's me." Shriners may do some things that catch some people wrong, but they wouldn't disrespect their wives in such a way.

8. owls84

owls84 Moderator Premium Member

Re: Grand Master Edict on Widows Sons Motorcycle Riding Club

Wow. I don't believe this. I thought it was ok to join based on previous discussion.

9. tomasball

tomasball Premium Member

That's not how I recall the previous discussion. I'm surprised the GL let them go this long without enforcing the rules.

10. eagle1966

eagle1966 Guest

First

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2011
  11. eagle1966

eagle1966 Guest

some brethren

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2011
  12. tomasball

tomasball Premium Member

Real simple: In Texas, The Grand Lodge of Texas governs Masonry. You can't just go out and start a Masonic club without permission of the Grand Lodge. Says so in the Grand Lodge Laws for everybody to read. Kiwanis and Lions aren't masonic organizations. The Widows Sons is a Masonic organization--it says so in their name and in all their literature. They knew about this rule, and applied for permission. Permission was not granted, so they decided to ignore the Grand Lodge and go on and do whatever they wanted. I gather they even have degree teams. It's almost always a bad idea for a Mason to say he doesn't care what Grand Lodge says.

13. david918

david918 Premium Member

I don't ride my self but have a lot of friends in the FMRC and friends on Facebook who are members of the Widow Sons from other states.A few are planning to ride down this summer for our BBQ cook off.Now I'm wondering if those brothers would be welcome in Texas.

14. Frater Cliff Porter

Frater Cliff Porter Premium Member

No naked ladies on the patches here, no recognition needed because they are not Masonic, but they are popular and its not uncommon to see guy wearing a vest for them in some of the informal lodges.

15. HKTidwell

HKTidwell Premium Member

The difference from my understanding is that to be a member of this organization you must be a Master Mason, therefore making it masonic affiliation. The discussion I've heard has always centered around the patch and the fact that it had a scantly clad woman. Thus not something the Grand Lodge of Texas wanted to be a party of. If they turned a blind eye to it then they would be supporting a potential PR issue which could be said was part of Masonry.

16. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Unless they are members of a GLoT Lodge the edict does not apply to them.

17. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Unless they are members of a GLoT Lodge the edict does not apply to them.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Art. 225a of the GLoT Law states, in part:

"Other Organizations, predicating membership on Masonic membership, recognized.

In addition to those organizations recognized in Art. 225, next above, as being entitled to use Lodgerooms and Anterooms of Subordinate Lodges, the Grand Lodge of Texas may recognize and authorize other organizations which predicate membership on Masonic membership. Recognition and authorization must take place by approval of the Grand Lodge in Grand Communication.
    After an organization has been recognized and authorized by the Grand Lodge of Texas in Grand Communication, pursuant to this Art. 225a, Texas Masons may participate in, and be a part of, such organizations."

18. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

I keep my naked ladies on my mudflaps...10-4

19. HKTidwell

HKTidwell Premium Member

I kinda thought yours would take up the entire back window :D

20. Hippie19950

Hippie19950 Premium Member

Several of us on here are members of FMRC, but I don't know if anyone is WS. I personally prefer to NOT wear something "risque" in public while supporting Texas Freemasonry. My preference... I also read in tne statement posted at who they are, it was " The Widows Sons are an independent group of internationally based Master Masons and friends who ride motorcycles and have organized for the laudable task of aiding and assisting the Widows of Master Masons, promoting Freemasonry in the world of motorcycling" which to me means there are Non-Masons riding, and wearing the Patch/Shield. I appreciate their support, but I don't think a Non-Mason should be representing us. As for Shriners, I am not one, but I have and will support their efforts. I may not agree with some of their actions, but they are ALL Master Mason's. GLoT approves them, therefore, we can associate with them. GLoT does not recognize WS, so I cannot be one. I am sure they will be welcome in Texas, as well as at any of our events, but ONLY those who are Masons, will be able to sit in a Lodge here, as long as their Home Lodge is recognized by Texas. At any rate, I am Happy with what I have, need no more (well, right now anyway).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share My Freemasonry