My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God the Father

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
As Christians, we are taught that God allowed Jesus to sacrifice himself to save all mankind. That being said, did God feel bad about the crucifixion? If Jesus is God in flesh, why did Jesus ask "Why have you forsaken me"? Is he asking himself?

Last edited:

LRG

Premium Member
Why have you forsaken me

I thought that Our Lord was questioning -us-

It had to be very hard for The Almighty- to just stand by- but it was the will of his SON. To give up his life for the forgiveness of our sins. At any moment Jesus could have called upon his Armies.

In the Old Testament, Our Father was of war. He would wipe out seeds. Imagine the pschological tensity for which Joshua had to bear.
Then Jesus comes and closes the Old Testament and creates the New Testament. Jesus is of love, forgiveness, and charity. Almost as if The Almighty retires and allows Jesus to take over as new President.
IMHO I don't think we are supposed to know, we are to just have faith.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
No He did not. God is manifested in three distinct persons, how this is done is a misery we will found out soon. It was the will of the father [John 3:16] [For God so loved the world, He gave]. 1John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

I hope this has helped?

Last edited by a moderator:

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
Question: "Why did Jesus say, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?""

Answer: “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). This cry is a fulfillment of Psalm 22:1, one of many parallels between that psalm and the specific events of the crucifixion. It has been difficult to understand in what sense Jesus was “forsaken” by God. It is certain that God approved His work. It is certain that He was innocent. He had done nothing to forfeit the favor of God. As His own Son - holy, harmless, undefiled, and obedient - God still loved Him. In none of these senses could God have forsaken Him.

However, Isaiah tells us that “he bore our griefs and carried our sorrows; that he was wounded for our transgressions, and bruised for our iniquities; that the chastisement of our peace was laid upon him; that by his stripes we are healed” (Isaiah 53:4-5). He redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us (Galatians 3:13). He was made a sin-offering, and He died in our place, on our account, that He might bring us near to God. It was this, doubtless, which caused His intense sufferings. It was the manifestation of God’s hatred of sin, in some way which He has not explained, that Jesus experienced in that terrible hour. It was suffering endured by Him that was due to us, and suffering by which, and by which alone, we can be saved from eternal death.

In those awful moments, Jesus was expressing His feelings of abandonment as God placed the sins of the world on Him – and because of that had to “turn away” from Jesus. As Jesus was feeling that weight of sin, He was experiencing separation from God for the only time in all of eternity. It was at this time that 2 Corinthians 5:21 occurred, “God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” Jesus became sin for us, so He felt the loneliness and abandonment that sin always produces, except that in His case, it was not His sin – it was ours.

LRG

Premium Member
"My God My God why hast thou forsaken me"

"Father, Father, why hast they forsaken me"

Sirius

I believe we are seeing an expression of the humanity of Jesus. The night before he prayed that this 'cup' should pass him by. He was terrified, as any human would be.

If something can be given easily, without thought or care, it's not a sacrifice. Jesus had to suffer or it would not have been a sacrifice. When in pain we sometimes say things, as anyone who has witnessed a childbirth will understand. In this instance, in all of his suffering, it's understandable to think Jesus simply questioned why he'd been abandoned by God. You or I would probably feel the same way under equal circumstances.