My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HB132 Get the Word Out

Jamesb

I would like to know if I am reading this wrong. My wife works for the taxing authority and she doesn't think that this says we are exempt. Now she does admit that she is not sure, but I just want to be sure that this is what it says. We (masonic lodges) have been disappointed before and with the moral factor being somewhat low (as far as this topic is concerned) I would just like some real hard confirmation.

I don't want to be a bummer but before I get my party hat on I want to make doubley sure I don't look foolish. (eggs and chicken counting)

owls84

Premium Member
This is from my DDGM.

"Last night I received confirmation from the Grand Master that legislation had been approved exempting our properties from Ad Valorem (Property) Taxes.
Obviously, this is big. The Legislation should be in effect next January so Taxes will have to be paid this year."

Jamesb

I just been holding my breath for so long...it's like waiting for Aston Kutcher to come out and say we've been punk'ed.

nick1368

I just been holding my breath for so long...it's like waiting for Aston Kutcher to come out and say we've been punk'ed.

I know what you mean...and I am still skeptical. Nederland Lodge got the 5 year exemption 3 years ago and if tradition prevails we were going to have to re new during my year as WM, now we wont hopefully. This exemption is saving Nederland Lodge a little over $10,000 over a 5 year period.

owls84

Premium Member
Texas House Bill 2555 became a law on 6-19 it is official. It was signed by the governor. There will be no taxes for the Lodges for the year 2010. How much will this save your Lodge and what do you plan to do with the money? Save, spend?

nick1368

It will save us a little over $2k a year, but we had already gotten the taxing agencies to exempt us about 3 yrs ago for 5 years. At least now we will not have to re vist them every 5 years to ask them to exempt again. This money will help make up the difference from not getting the endowments...however we are now back in the position we were 2 yrs ago when we raised our dues..just getting by instead of putting money in the back for building up keep.