My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HB132 Get the Word Out

LRG

Premium Member
My Lodge had an issue with this a few years ago. We approached our Council to have the same rights as other "charitable organisations" in relation to our rates and there was a woman Lord Mayor at the time who tried to defeat it based on sexism. She labeled us........."a men only organisation".
One of our Brethren was present at the meeting and spoke up and explain what we represent and the good work done.

She lost........we won.:D
Thats great. The day will come when all will know the charity and fellowship in which the craft donates.

Wingnut

Premium Member
Brothers MWGM Counts has asked us to not contact our Reps. As you know he was in the Legislature for awhile and knows the ropes. Also the main sponsor of the bill has had an accident and broke some bones. The bill is stalled until he is able to be there to speak on it if needed. It is coming up against recess however so it may lay over again. If you havent seen the full text they have added a LOT of organizations to the bill, not just Masonry in the hopes that more congress critters will have a special interest of theirs on the list and it will sail right on through. (from my understanding anyway).

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Too bad this is how our lawmakers vote in Austin! :mad:

YouTube - Texas Legislation

now now now. that's often misunderstood.

in texas, legislatures usually sit organized via caucus, not party. voting for eachother is acceptable to me, in that case. they know how they are going to vote on certain issues.

abuses of that system are quickly noticed and fixed.

when i saw this video a while back, i immediately called up my uncle, a lobbyist for hunters. he said that it's common and explained it to me.

Last edited:

owls84

Premium Member
How could this be acceptable at any rate? If you are voting for someone else it is breaking the rules. Is it not? Regardless of how common it happens. Plus as you see in the video part has nothing to do with who they vote for. I think they need to track how everyone votes. Once people are allowed to see how they vote on certain issues I bet you will see a change. However, for that to happen our trusty congressmen and women would have to allow that and why would they. TOTAL BS if you ask me.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
How could this be acceptable at any rate? If you are voting for someone else it is breaking the rules. Is it not? Regardless of how common it happens. Plus as you see in the video part has nothing to do with who they vote for. I think they need to track how everyone votes. Once people are allowed to see how they vote on certain issues I bet you will see a change. However, for that to happen our trusty congressmen and women would have to allow that and why would they. TOTAL BS if you ask me.

to me, that's 2 different issues. they are voting how they want to vote. their caucus members are voting for them.

recording their votes is always a good thing, however, so i'm all for that.

Nuts to that. If they want a vote, let them show up and vote for themselves.

sure, that works too. honestly, they got a seat, they might as well be there to vote.

Wingnut

Premium Member
It looks like its still stuck BUT there is a similar bill from the Senate side... SB 475 that looks to be moving along and is on the General State Calendar.

Wingnut

Premium Member
SB 475 passed the Senate, Bill passed out of the House committee on Ways & Means with vote of 8 Ayes, 0 Nays, 0 Present Not Voting, 3 Absent. Next step is the house vote, which it was on the Calendar for on 5/21 so Im not sure whats going on right now...

Bro. Kurt P.M.

2018 14G DCO
Premium Member
The Ad Valorem Bill (HB2555) passed

This just in from the Grand Secretary Tom Guest's office:

The Ad Valorem Bill (HB2555) passed the legislative process at 6:30 p.m. yesterday and is on its way to the Governor's office!

click here for more info

Jamesb

I guess we will have to let someone move into our lodges to get the benefit from this?

owls84

Premium Member
From my prilimanary reading they have just changed it to include anyone that has purchased property for the use of low-income housing "AND" charitable organizations.

owls84

Premium Member
As of January 1, 2010 we will no longer have to pay property taxes. Keep in mind you will pay for the year 2009. I know this will save Lake Worth 1410 almost $4000 and no telling how much for Fort Wort 148.