My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

healthy eating

widows son

Premium Member
Bryan I think your just looking for an argument, what exactly about that is conspiracy? Those are facts. It's public knowledge that McDonald's owns shares in farms. Lettuce is cheap to begin with and if you own or partly own the place where it grows logic should tell you that it would be even cheaper. Thats not a conspiracy its good business. I'm a chef and know the workings and paperwork that go along with food costs. you haven't answered my question on how it's a conspiracy theory. I don't think you know what a conspiracy is.

widows son

Premium Member
Bro. Varnel you comment on fried foods is bang on. Although roasting, boiling or baking is a better option than frying, frying at a temp of 360 degrees F significantly reduces the amount of oil absorption in the food your cooking, due to the high temp. The one thing we need to look at if frying as well as the points you made are the types of oil used to fry. Vegetable shortening is the basic in most restaurants that aren't a franchise, canola isnt the best for deep frying because when heated to that temp I mentioned it expands and can overflow, which can be dangerous. But bro Varnell you are correct

widows son

Premium Member
What I meant that by that statement is that by owning or partly owning a farm try would get it for a lower cost than of they went from a farm that they don't have shares in.

CajunTinMan

Ok. But I have health issues as you know. And man do I LOVE fried food. What can I batter my food in that is not as unhealthy as white flour and still enjoy the taste. A healthy gravy would be a plus.

CajunTinMan

And commonsense tells you that if I sale a double cheeseburger for a dollar and a healthier chicken sandwich for six dollars. I am gonna sell a lot more cheeseburgers. That doesn't mean there isn't a demand. It means most people have to try to strech a buck.

widows son

Premium Member
You can use rice flour, but there's still gluten, or use gluten free flour. Usually health food stores carry them. Try and avoid Cornstarch for batters or thickeners. if you want to thicken your gravy use potatoes, it's better than flour and better in taste.

widows son

Premium Member
All on all though gravy isn't the healthiest thing to begin with lol, but even adding onions carrots, celery, garlic and potatoes to whatever kind of gravy your making, the pulp and starch from the veg, helps to thicken it. I personally don't like flour to thicken because you need to mix it with a fat before adding it to thicken something and thus adds unnecessary fat and the flour takes away from the flavor and can be pasty if not cooked out enough

CajunTinMan

Down here its kill it, drag it through flour, and fry it in lard. I wonder why people say Americans are unhealthy?

widows son

Premium Member
Lol. But it's sooo good. I never thought of that either till one day I made a soup and thickened it with flour and my chef busted a nut on me. Never did it again...

widows son

Premium Member
Eat antioxidants, theyre a miracle nutrient. Most berries have them and red wine too, and the health benefits are numerous. Just to put it out there.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Bryan I think your just looking for an argument, what exactly about that is conspiracy? Those are facts. It's public knowledge that McDonald's owns shares in farms. Lettuce is cheap to begin with and if you own or partly own the place where it grows logic should tell you that it would be even cheaper. Thats not a conspiracy its good business. I'm a chef and know the workings and paperwork that go along with food costs. you haven't answered my question on how it's a conspiracy theory. I don't think you know what a conspiracy is.

Your conspiracy theories sound like conspiracy theories, that's how I know. Everything is for some nefarious, evil reason. There's always some sort of secret, hidden process.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Just purée it and strain in through a fine mesh strainer

Or if you're really desperate for time, use "instant mashed potatoes"--it's the only thing they're good for.

Another great thickener for bean-based soups is...

[wait for it]

BEANS!

Take out some of the fully cooked beans, puree, and return to the soup.

widows son

Premium Member
Again you haven't answered how it's a conspiracy, do you know what a conspiracy is? How exactly is it evil that McDonald's owns shares in farms? Mcdonalds being a publicly traded corporation, and has this info available to to the public. Maybe if you actually looked into something, instead just branding blindly. So enlighten me please, because you still haven't shown how its a conspiracy. And by saying it sounds like a conspiracy, therefore it is, is an ignorant statement. There's nothing evil or nefarious about McDonald's doing good business. You can be childish and continue to be argumentative because you have not shown or backed up your comments.

widows son

Premium Member
And beans are a good thickener, instant mashed I personally like the real thing for flavor, plus of you dice the potatoes they take no more than 8 mins to cook through

jvarnell

Premium Member
The conspericy is about wheat glutons. All thing that thicken have a gluton proteans that is why they thicken. What the problem is with glutons is to much causes the visily in the intestons to be coverd. If they the visily are covered to often they die. But all glutons do this not just wheat. The reason wheat is being villafyed is we eat more wheat gluton than othere. When i started this thread that is what i was pointing out. All of anything is bad for you devercify types of food is good.

widows son

Premium Member
Potatoes don't have gluten, and they are used to thicken. Grain based thickeners are what to watch for. Rye, wheat, barley etc.

jvarnell

Premium Member
Potatoes don't have gluten, and they are used to thicken. Grain based thickeners are what to watch for. Rye, wheat, barley etc.

I have never used potatoes to thicken but will try it. My point was that gluton is a protein that has an elastic type of quality. This protien is also in Oakra and almost everything that is used to thicken.