Home brewing

Discussion in 'The Refreshment Lounge' started by brother josh, Nov 22, 2013.

1. brother josh

brother josh Registered User

Can any brother give me advice I'm new at this but I love it

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App

2. Brother JC

Brother JC Moderating Staff Staff Member

Any of Papazian's books are a great resource.
    Biggest rule; make sure everything is clean. It doesn't take much to ruin a batch. If you do have one go sour, don't dump it. It makes a great marinade.

3. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Start with minimal equipment - You never know how long your interest will last. As Bro JC Walker wrote stress cleanliness. Build your equipment a little at a time as you make more batches. You'll end up with mismatched equipments - That's a sign of doing the hobby the right way.

I knew a guy who started out wanting to brew for quantity. He kept playing with the welding equipment making "beer sculpture" big rigs in racks. It turned out he liked playing with his welding equipment more than the brewing itself so a lot of people in his geography have big rigs in racks whether they are serious brewers or not because he has so much fun making them he just keeps making more. You may well end up enjoying something else so if brewing happens to launch you into something else, so much the better.

Brewers standardized on hops recently, barely four centuries ago. The word for ale made with other bittering herbs and no hops is "gruse". Probably comes from Dutch. I brew one batch of gruse per year. This year I used woodruff instead of hops. If you know German wines it's the herb that flavors May Wine. The batch is well aged now should be ready to drink after Thanksgiving.

4. Bro Darren

Bro Darren Premium Member

Here is some advice to take into consideration

[video=youtube;3nzhzOeixOo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nzhzOeixOo[/video]

5. brother josh

Looool GOD. I hope that don't happen to me

6. amhdive

amhdive Registered User

I brew between 25-30 gallons of all grain a month. What can I help you with Brother?

7. brother josh

Ben franklins ale recipe I have but I'm still so new it doesn't give step by step directions so its like telling some one how to bake a cake when the dont get the wording

8. brother josh

Also where do u get the equipment to brew that much this 5 gallon job is cool but I would hope one day to step up my game

9. Bro Darren

Bro Darren Premium Member

10. amhdive

amhdive Registered User

Send me what you have via private message and I'll walk you through it. I've been brewing for flies to 20 years so I just keep upgrading. I do my stuff in 5-10 gallon batches. I prefer 5 gallons so I can keep multiple styles on tap in the garage. My friends know how to get in so growlers leave here pretty much daily.

11. brother josh

Thanks brother just sent it

12. amhdive

amhdive Registered User

I sent you several steps. Feel free to ask for clarification great yeast selection by the way!

13. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

I saw the recipe in PM and responded. Then I read the rest of this discussion. Hopefully the steps or sequence I separated it out to matches ...

14. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Premium Member

I started with a Mr Beer kit. They sell lots of varieties and you learn by taking small steps.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Share My Freemasonry