My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Common?

NY.Light.II

How common is it for a mason to go through Chapter & Council, but not Commandery? Is it acceptable to not petition for the chivalric degrees?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
V common in the U.K. Less common, but not unknown in the US. You need to understand the Masonic culture in your area to know how accepting others will be

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
It was not uncommon in my York Bodies in Santa Fe as we had a number of Companions who did not follow the Christian faith.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Certainly not "common" in my area. Most that start the Chapter go on through to the KT, but it is not unheard of for a Brother to stop at Chapter or Council either.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I only know of one guy in my area who didn't go through the Commandery. Of course, he is the only non-Christian that I'm aware I know.
If anyone has any reservations about him not going though, I've never heard it expressed. I've never given it much thought. I figure that's someone's business.