How to wear the masonic apron?

Discussion in 'The Voting Booth' started by Payne, Dec 14, 2009.

?

How should we wear the apron?

1. On-top of the coat/jacket

148 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. Underneth the coat/jacket

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. It does not matter!

14 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. XcaliburDK

XcaliburDK Registered User

I wear my ring with the square facing away from me

Freemason Connect Premium App

2. Bro_Carl

Bro_Carl Registered User

Outside in Connecticut

Freemason Connect Mobile

3. Benjamin Baxter

Benjamin Baxter Moderator Staff Member

I would certainly wear it the way the grand lodge wants it worn.:thumbup:

Freemason Connect Mobile

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  4. Mason653

Mason653 Registered User

Always on never under.

Yours Truly 357

Fontana Lodge #653
    IOOF Lodge #345

Freemason Connect Mobile

5. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

In nj we wear it outside the coat.

It is in my opinion symbolic of protecting the wearer duing operative masonry. An apron doesnt do well protection wise if it is under the jacket.

6. Starr

Starr Registered User

I still like the Irish way out of all of the answers why it should be one way or another. If you really go to work you don't wear a jacket you take it off. I know we normally did in the Army when able.

Freemason Connect Mobile

7. Roy Vance

Roy Vance Certified Premium Member

So that's where the "Knife and Fork Degree" comes in?

8. KTemplar32

KTemplar32 Registered User

The correct way to wear your apron is the way that you were taught to wear it when you were raised. At my lodge Hiram #1 in New Haven Connecticut we wear are aprons on the inside of our coat just as our colonial brothers did. We are a lodge that was founded by general David Wooster in 1750.

Freemason Connect Mobile

9. KTemplar32

KTemplar32 Registered User

Not all Brothers in CT wear on the outside.... At Hiram 1 we wear on the inside

Freemason Connect Mobile

10. BillK

BillK Registered User

In my lodge its always over never under

Watsontown, PA Lodge #401

11. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

For a couple of years we lived near Seattle. I affiliated with a GLofWA lodge for those years. At refreshment after a third degree they would recite a "Knife and Fork Degree" or "Third and a Half Degree". Of course it was not a degree of any sort just a local tradition done by some lodges in that region. And it was done after closing to not be a part of the sanctioned ritual and thus not in conflict with it (note difference of how lodges near Houston did their Chamber of Reflection wrong). Very fun talk.

On the wall in some lodges I've visited I've seen a framed apron on the wall with a knife and fork in the place of the compasses. This local tradition might have been much wider in the past than it is now.

12. Roy Vance

Roy Vance Certified Premium Member

I had seen lapel pins with the knife and fork and other things regarding such, but my comment was in reference to the cartoon that was posted with the Brother wearing his apron like a baby bib and having a knife and fork in his hands. I thought it was pretty hilarious. That being said, it might be interesting to watch one of the "Knife and Fork" degrees.

13. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

The term "knife and fork Mason" has been around forever. Consider that when modern GL Masonry was founded in London in 1717 the main goal was to arrange for an annual grand banquet. Plenty of brothers are here for the fellowship and social activities and they at times get called knife and fork Masons. To me all of the references to knife and fork make sense including how they get treated as humor. Philosophical conversations do happen over meals.

One time I was sitting in the dining hall at my SR valley. A new brother asked the white hat across from us how he earned his white hat. The senior brother said you can earn a white hat by walking on the moon or working 20 years in the kitchen. He said he'd earned his working in the kitchen. I laughed because the brother had been MWGM a few years before and he was so eminent within the state the annual Mason of the Year award is now named after him. But with all that he had literally earned his hat serving in the kitchen for 20+ years and he was still cooking. He also happened to earn his hat a dozen other ways as well. With all that when in that dining hall he had identified himself as a knife and fork Mason. Sometimes humor runs very deep.

14. brother josh

brother josh Registered User

I was instructed to wear it outside the jacket

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

15. Joshua71

Joshua71 Grand Standard Bearer GL of Alberta, PM Lodge #195 Premium Member

Likewise, I was instructed to wear it on the outside as well.

16. Sammcd

Sammcd Premium Member

Outside the jacket as specified in the State Monitor

17. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Here in Kentucky we are taught to wear it outside of the coat.

18. Zack

Zack Registered User

Under the jacket unless the jacket is buttoned or when wearing a double-breasted jacket then it is worn outside.

coachn likes this.
  19. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Yeah, what Brother Zack said.

20. Pete Ramboldt

Pete Ramboldt Registered User

In Wisconsin it's always over the coat. However Grand Lodge officers may wear it under the coat when in a tux. (Go figure)

Share My Freemasonry