My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested in Freemasonry

JohnGoforth

Hello everyone. My name is John And I live in Converse, TX just outside of San Antonio close to Randolph AFB. I have been intrigued by and drawn to freemasonry for some time now. I am looking for a lodge to go to and meet people to find out about masonry and if all works out petition for a membership. If anyone here knows of someone in San Antonio or the surrounding areas that might be willing to talk with me or meet with me I would appreciate it.

JohnGoforth

Thank you gentlemen I will use this website to seek out a lodge. I will keep you up to date on my journey. In the meantime, if there is anyone on here that is a Freemason in San Antonio I'd love to talk to you and see what your input is about your lodge. There are so many on the website it's gonna be hard to tell which might fit me the best.

Bloke

Premium Member
Thank you gentlemen I will use this website to seek out a lodge. I will keep you up to date on my journey. In the meantime, if there is anyone on here that is a Freemason in San Antonio I'd love to talk to you and see what your input is about your lodge. There are so many on the website it's gonna be hard to tell which might fit me the best.

Pick a geographic locations you can get to, then pick a night you can make, then check those lodges out by phone.... remember, the guys will be calling are all volunteers, sometimes it takes a while to hear back.

In my jurisdiction, I'd say narrow it down and call GL, but we have a paid staff and only 250 lodges to keep tract of; they'd know the lodge's reputation (young, old, good socials, women involved, conservative, progressive etc).

What intrigues and draws you to Masonry ?

JohnGoforth

To be honest the first time I read about it the phrase "freemasonry makes good men better" had me hooked. What man doesn't want to be a better man? What man doesn't want to help his fellow man? I want all these things and more and I feel that masonry may be the thing For me.

Bloke

Premium Member
To be honest the first time I read about it the phrase "freemasonry makes good men better" had me hooked. What man doesn't want to be a better man? What man doesn't want to help his fellow man? I want all these things and more and I feel that masonry may be the thing For me.
Reminds me of the words I heard from a Fellowcraft this year on the Brought to Light Masonic Podcast..

“So I went to the Grand Lodge website and I had a look about what it was actually about and OMG, its good, but what do they want?, what is it really about and I kept looking for what they want?, what they want??..what they want???.. and I kept finding “Good Men”, they want “Good Men” and I am thinking; where’s the catch? So when you join a soccer club, they want you to play soccer, and they want you to be good at it, when you join a chess club, same thing, good at chess, when you join a band, you gotta be able to play an instrument, you have to be the best at it. But when you join Freemasonry, you just gotta be the best you can be at whatever you do, where ever you do it, and that blew my mind...... I thought I need to met the people,... maybe there is some crazy upper class one-percenters that I am not allowed to be around, and Jack said alright, come to a blue lounge event, and I thought what’s that, and Jack said just come, so I thought I would ignore the fact you said “Blue Lounge” and I will come... and I rocked up and there was a group of young blokes, drinking beer, having chats from all walks of life,.... and these were all different groups of different people from different places and different jobs, and I could not get my head around it. I still could not understand the real connection and the further I got into it, the more I spoke to these people, I realised they were all good people. That’s when I decided, yep, I am going to do this, I am going to do this, this is cool, I want to be part of it.

http://www.lodgedevotion.net/Freemasonry-links/the-blue-lounge-social-club-blsc-overview/brought-to-light-masonic-podcast-ep-31-brothers-in-freemasonry

JohnGoforth

So yes sir, this is exactly about how I feel. There is so much craziness and evil in the world today that I just want to be part of something good. With good men doing good things. I was in the military for 12 years until I was medically retired in 2012. During my time in I did and saw many crazy things but nothing I have been a part of since has given me that sense of brotherly love and fellowship I experienced. We had had each other's backs and knew that no matter what we would do anything, even die, for one another......I miss that.

JohnGoforth

So it seems like there is a large amount of lodges here in San Antonio. Some are big and very prominent looking and some are more small town/laid back looking. Appearance and numbers mean nothing to me. I'm a person who is more concerned with how active a lodge would be. Can anyone shine any light on how to tell how active a lodge is?

Keith C

So it seems like there is a large amount of lodges here in San Antonio. Some are big and very prominent looking and some are more small town/laid back looking. Appearance and numbers mean nothing to me. I'm a person who is more concerned with how active a lodge would be. Can anyone shine any light on how to tell how active a lodge is?

Visit the Lodges, most will have a meal before their stated meeting which is a good way to get to know the bretheren, and discuss what sort of things they have going on. Ask what activities they have going on in addition to Stated and Extra meetings, what sort of presence they have in the community, what if any charitable activities they are engaged in.

Check with the Grand Lodge and get the contact information for the Secretaries of the lodges you have an interest in. Contact the Secretaries and check with them as to when the appropriate time to visit as a potential petitioner would be.

It is just like anything other organization you might be interested in joining, such as a place of worship, a community organization, a special interest club...Meet the members, ask questions and see where you will best fit in.

Phil P

An even better way is if you have time on Saturday May 27 every lodge in the state of Texas will be having an Open House between 10am until 2pm. So you might want to make a visit, take a look around and ask questions