My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Masonic events or lodges?

CTSloan

Added information regarding Moosup Lodge #113 and their Mountain Lodge meeting.

Also, last weekend, I was able to attend Georgia's 60th annual Rock Quarry meeting, where two MM degrees were conferred. The degree was acted out in full (meaning the lecture, too) -- something I've never seen before. It was really impressive (songs were included as well). I would very strongly encourage others to attend in the future.

I have been wanting to go to this. A brother from my lodge went years ago. He was impressed but, can't remember where it was. Where is this done at or what lodge host it? Thanks

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Trufflehound

I have been wanting to go to this. A brother from my lodge went years ago. He was impressed but, can't remember where it was. Where is this done at or what lodge host it? Thanks

I believe that the Rock Quarry will be on August 23rd this year. It's in/near Morganton, Georgia. I'm not sure which lodge puts it on, though. It may very well rotate. I'm not certain.

Speaking of Georgia, the Cove Waterfall meeting looks like it's either May 17th or 24th. I'm not sure what all it entails, but I may try and attend this year.

EDIT:
Rock Quarry near Morganton, GA
U S F S Road
Chattahoochee National Forest, Morganton, GA 30560

Lunch starts at the base of the mountain around noon. Lodge starts around 1900 or so, if I remember correctly. It's a long event. We got out around 2200 or 2300, and we drove directly back to Augusta after. We didn't get back until about 0500 the next day. If you're far away, I highly recommend grabbing a room for the night somewhere.

Last edited:

CTSloan

Thank you for the quick reply. My wife is originally from blue ridge before moving to Alabama. So I know where Morganton is. I'll try to make that.

Trufflehound

I cleaned up the OP a little, and I also thought I'd add the following in this post (not being added to the OP):

Regarding the Red Degrees -- The Grand Lodge of Georgia has invited Brothers from Louisiana to Georgia to perform some of their Red Degree work. This is happening in Macon, Georgia on February 28th. If interested in attending, contact the Scottish Rite Valley of Macon. My understanding is that there's a limited amount of seats available.

Regarding the rest of the OP, I need to stop being lazy and start contacting the various Grand Lodges again. Going alphabetically, the next on my list is Georgia.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Crater Lake Lodge 211 A.F&A.M. Klamath Falls, OR on the first saturday of August puts on an Outdoor degree in Crater Lake National Park, permission being granted by executive order of President (M.W.B.) Franklin D Roosevelt

Trufflehound

Crater Lake Lodge 211 A.F&A.M. Klamath Falls, OR on the first saturday of August puts on an Outdoor degree in Crater Lake National Park, permission being granted by executive order of President (M.W.B.) Franklin D Roosevelt
I have added the information to the list. Thank you for the information!

Rifleman1776

There is an upcoming Third degree being put on at a lodge in Missouri. It is a Lantern Lodge with candle light only. Many participating will be wearing Revoluitionary period clothing to help celebrate George Washington's birthday. I am seeking dispensation so I can go in my Rev. Riflemans period attire and bring my Rev. period flintlock rifle. BTW, I have always wondered why the prohibition against weapons in Lodge. Masons have long (always?) been under some kind of attack. It is not like we are going to harm each other.

crono782

Premium Member
Considering weapons in the lodge room came up this year at our grand communication, I had a chance to ponder this topic. I think if you consider what the lodge room is supposed to represent in the master lodge, you may see that carrying weapons there would be most inappropriate. That's my opinion at least.

dfreybur

Premium Member
BTW, I have always wondered why the prohibition against weapons in Lodge.

When brothers remember some of the explanations given to the candidate about his preparation some think that one only refers to the candidate. Others think it refers to all present. There is no "right" answer to this difference just what your jurisdiction has voted as the "correct" answer.

The brother who obligated me on my first is a police officer required to go armed. It was tucked under his chair while he was in attendance. That jurisdiction voted that way. Other jurisdictions I am a member of have voted the other way on it.

Rifleman1776

I am having an e-discussion with a Brother on this subject. Regarding the period of the American Revolution, it was foolhardy for a patriot,rebel/revolutionary to leave his home without a weapon. They had to have been brought to the place they met for Lodge.

Trufflehound

From the Grand Lodge of Illinois:
  • Thanksgiving Degree - Each year, Robinson Masonic Lodge #250 conducts a MM Degree on the morning of Thanksgiving.
  • Outdoor Degree - Every few years, the Widows Sons (Masonic Motorcycle Association) hold an outdoor degree.
  • Colonial Degree - Occasionally, there is a lodge that conducts a "Colonial Degree" in full costume. (no lodge name given)

From the Grand Lodge of Idaho:
  • Exemplification - Portneuf Lodge # 18 does an exemplification of the 3rd degree in costume, the first weekend in March every year.
  • Silver City Lodge - Silver City Lodge #13 (located in Homedale, Idaho) holds an Annual Meeting and 3rd degree in Silver City, Idaho (old mining town) the second weekend of July.
  • Lodge on the Lake - Capital City Lodge #93 holds opens lodge on the lake and has a picnic in July each year.
  • Baldy Mountain Degree - Hailey Lodge #16 holds a 3rd Degree on Baldly Mountain around Labor day weekend.
  • Lodge in the Garage - Capital City Lodge #93 holds an annual communication in the garage and a picnic each Spetember.
  • International Day - Bonners Ferry Lodge #43 (of Idaho) has International Day, working with Creston Lodge #54 (of British Columbia). Both lodges meet and open in one location and close in another with lunch in the middle.

Trufflehound

There is an upcoming Third degree being put on at a lodge in Missouri. It is a Lantern Lodge with candle light only. Many participating will be wearing Revoluitionary period clothing to help celebrate George Washington's birthday. I am seeking dispensation so I can go in my Rev. Riflemans period attire and bring my Rev. period flintlock rifle.
You wouldn't happen to have any additional information regarding this, would you?

Rafael Villegas

Brethen,

I am a traveling man as all of you. However, I am traveling out of my country. My mother lodge is Pitagóricos #58 from Tamaulipas México and from what I have experienced, visiting any lodge in Mexico is a great experience for my American brothers.

I am currently living in Nashville, TN and I would love to visit this magic degrees. Is there any brother from Kentucky, Georgia or Alabama (even from the Carolinas) Who Can help me plan a visit to one of this great events?

Thank you in advance,

M.M. Rafael V.

Cootr68

There is a Yellow Dog degree held at The Abbas Grotto in East Peoria Il every 6 months. Next one is September 19th. I have not lost my scent! A lodge in Macomb Il has had an outdoor MM degree this year also, not sure of lodge #.