Irregular lodge?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Triclocarbon, Sep 14, 2012.

1. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

When talking about the warrants of lodge, I visited a very historical lodge last Monday and their lodge warrant is just like the things that we can see in the museum, very oldish but prestigious. The warrant is issued by the Grand Lodge of England in 1777. This is quite shocked for me to see it because normally I only see some "modern"(20th Century) warrants.

2. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

What Lodge?

3. MBC

The Indefatigable Lodge No.237, now under the jurisdiction of UGLE, the oldest lodge in my province.

Raymond Walters likes this.
  4. MBC

Would like to have a share again.
    I visited a Masonic Hall in South West England and one of those lodges is under the UGLE jurisdiction. However they don't have a warrant or charter on it as they existed even longer than the Grand Lodge of England.

5. Psalm 133

Psalm 133 Registered User

Nobody owns a trademark or copyright on the square and compasses or on Masonic ritual. Someone could create "The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Thunder" in their garage and there's nothing anyone could do about it. But, with only a few exceptions these clandestine groups tend to extinguish themselves pretty quickly due to mismanagement.

However, there are groups like the Grand Orient de France which is very similar to the Masonry that you and I practice, but with some key differences that prevent intervisitation. Personally I consider them to be practicing Masonry, even if I would not be able to communicate Masonically or sit in lodge with them. It's just a different sort of Masonry. This is to be distinguished from the exploitative character of most clandestine lodges, which tend to charge insane dues and engage in violent hazing.

6. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Which Lodge?

7. MBC

Forgot need to find it back.

8. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

I do not claim to be an expert on the UGLE or its history, but as I understand it, the only UGLE Lodges that could operate without a warrant would be the four time immemorial lodges that formed the Premier Grand Lodge of England/Grand Lodge of London and Westminster/Grand Lodge of England. Of those 3 are still in existence. Hopefully some of our UGLE members will correct me if I am wrong.

“Goose and Gridiron Ale-house in St. Paul's Church-yard (Lodge now called Lodge of Antiquity No. 2); the Crown Ale-house in Parker's Lane off Drury Lane; theApple-Tree Tavern in Charles Street, Covent Garden (Lodge now called Lodge of Fortitude and Old Cumberland No. 12); and theRummer and Grapes Tavern in Channel Row, Westminster (Lodge now called Royal Somerset House and Inverness Lodge No. IV).”

http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/Premier_Grand_Lodge_of_England

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.freemasonry.london.museum/resources/lanes-masonic-records/

MRichard and MBC like this.
  9. Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776 Registered User

Your basic question is simple to answer. Call the Grand Secretary of the GL of Texas and ask.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  10. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Very simple solution.

11. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

I recall reading that of those 4 lodges the oldest at the time was 50 years old and the youngest was 5 years old. I dare say there was a certain amount of derision from the many other London lodges of the claims of being time immemorial.

Still it seems that any lodges can break away and form their own grand lodge (combined meeting) and that ultimately it is longevity that gives legitimacy.

Warrior1256 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry