My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Freemasonry Divisive?

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
As much as I love the Craft, I often find it divisive. I recently ran across this post on facebook:

"**** where do I know you from because I don't agree with the Masonic Lodge (George Washington or Free Masons). No disrespect intended but I prefer not to be associated with them because I know the truth and am already in the Light."

What is that supposed to mean?

Last edited:

Bro. Kurt P.M.

2018 14G DCO
Premium Member
I'm guessing the remark is from a Christian who finds fault in Masonry. Who, in my book should not make statements like that. As much as I love being a follower of Christ, I often find it divisive as well.

I look at it this way.

You can only change the world one person at a time and that one person is who you look at in the mirror every day. You can influence others but you can never change them .. the ones you influence must do that for themselves.

Last edited:

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Yes Freemasonry can be very divisive on the surface but anyone who trully learns and understands it's teaching just sits in the back with a loving smirk while all others fight their battles of divisivness. Anything that we choose to be a part of where opinions are involved there will always be division between humans it is how we define who we are as individuals. Most relegions have a profound system of morality to live by and they cause way more divisivness than Freemasonry in some cases, so to me the more dear and inportant it is to our hearts the more divisive we can be till we get into the real light and let all that go. Something I think we all have to remember is that nothing or nobody on this earth can fight like Brothers but in the end they stand together.

J

JEbeling

There a few churches that go out of their way to attack Freemasonary.. ! never could figure out why.. ! one of our members of the Lodge went to a bible study at this church with his wife and now he is born again.. ! I ask him if was as painfull for everybody this time as the first time.. ? like in your post..? they have him convenced that masonary is against the church.. ! but the dumbie know better.. ! don't understand those who can't think for themself and don't reconize BS when its thrown at them.. !

Scotty32

I have had BS thrown at me before; even told once that I cannot serve 2 masters.
I replied that that is true because I serve 3(God, parent lodge, and plural membership. lol)! They find fault in Masonry because we learn to think for ourselves, and we discover the concept of free-will.

When this kind of thing comes up in a discussion or I get that BS thrown at me, I just remember a line from Bro. Hodapp:
There are always people that live on the lunatic fringes and others who make
their living off of those who do.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
"**** where do I know you from because I don't agree with the Masonic Lodge (George Washington or Free Masons). No disrespect intended but I prefer not to be associated with them because I know the truth and am already in the Light."

yea, reminds me of a brother we have who's blood-brother says that christ is enough light for him, and won't join the masons.

not the same kind of light, imo. not even on the same spectrum, imo. not even in the same dimension, imo. not even REMOTELY the same, imo.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Wow, what an interesting title.

Warning verboten subject matter:

Hum, is FreeMasonry divisive? I would say not, if anything, as Anderson tried to exemplify in his Constitutions it would be 180 degrees from divisive. As further affirmation, I think C.S. Lewis hit the nail on the head when he demonstrated that “Christianity” with all of its divisions is by very nature divisive, so if one takes all of that into consideration anything that would try to unite individuals of different faiths together couldn’t be good. Could it? VBG

Skogie

We have had quite a few Brothers right here in small town USA (Payson, AZ. Pop. 15,000) who have been told that, as a member of the Masonic Lodge, they were not welcome to worship in their "church."

This is quite common in many so-called "Christian" denominations. My wife and experienced many times over the last 40 years.

These denominations are as hurting for members as the Masonic Fraternity is.

Last year the non-denominational Christian Church we were attending where we and 35 members of both the Lodge and OES Chapter had been attending had to suffer politely through a sermon denouncing Masonry as and evil work of the Satan.

This minister, who previously had no problem with Masonry or OES went to some kind of Seminar where his head was filled with anti-Masonic BS.

Rather than check out all this mis-information himself, he chose to beleive and swallow it, hook, line and sinker.

This Church organization had an average Sunday attendence of 55, which is pretty good considering the average attendence in most churches in the area on a given Sunday is 40.

They rented the 7th Day Adventist Church each Sunday and had a Building Fund for purchasing/building their own place.

Needless to say, after the service, the Masons, wives and Masonic Widows flat told him he didn't know what he was talking about and that he should have researched for the truth before delivering the Sermon. He refused.

The following week he had 15 in attendance. People vote with their feet.

We have all joined different churches in the area, and the anti-Masonic preacher and his church have folded up and are gone.

It was a lesson shared with the other established Churches in the area. In fact, we all individually searched out other churches and after attending a service would ask the Pastor/Minister if he had a problem with Masonry.

Some would say "yes, but your're still welcome to attend services." Others would just say "No problem, we would love to have you as members."

Too attack such a fine organization armed only with ignorance of the truth is obviously self-destructive. Like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Richard Skoglund, PM
Payson, AZ.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
Consider the original 13 colonies. Almost all of them were different in their Christian worship. If you were not Puritan, you were not welcome in New England. If you were not Quaker, you were not welcome in Pennsylvania and so on. So, what institution could have possibly had a major impact upon the unification of these colonies to give them the will and inspiration to take on King George and the mighty British Empire. And, what institution, after the Revolutionary War brought these colonies together and show them how to form a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.....

cemab4y

Premium Member
After I moved to a city in Virginia, I was looking around for a church. I called a church, and spoke with the assistant pastor. I asked him- Do you personally or your church have any problem with Freemasonry? He replied- "The only problem I have with Freemasonry, is when a Mason holds his ring up, and says- This is all the "churching" that I need". I told him, anyone who says that is not fit to wear the ring. I decided to attend that church, and I never had a problem.