My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a specific color and styles for the Worshipful Masters hat.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
My understanding is that a GL charters subordinate lodges...then if these lodges are in an area with no GL and there are at least 3 lodges in that area they can join together and form a GL and in doing so they then turn in the charters to the orig GL then issue charters to those 3 lodges, but the GL doesn't have a charter.
Thats was what the meaning behind what I said, sometimes I dont get my point across in english though. The GL of NY charterd the first lodges as well as giving the rituals.
Got it. Thanks for the info.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
My understanding is that a GL charters subordinate lodges...then if these lodges are in an area with no GL and there are at least 3 lodges in that area they can join together and form a GL and in doing so they then turn in the charters to the orig GL then issue charters to those 3 lodges, but the GL doesn't have a charter.

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app
Just as a clarification: a GL can establish another GL. See Page 7, Pt 1. http://ugle.org.uk/document-archive...for-the-guidance-of-members-of-the-craft/file

Last edited:

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Just as a clarification: a GL can establish another GL. See Page 7, Pt 1. http://ugle.org.uk/document-archive...for-the-guidance-of-members-of-the-craft/file
Can of worms opened....
1)it says "His revealed will....." What if the candidate belives in a female deity?
2)it talks about sovernign jurisdiction, how do provincial GLs fit in to that as they are over the lodges but the GL is over them?
3)it says "no Masonic Intercourse.......with bodies that admit women to membership" so if they are saying that having Masonic Intercourse with bodies that admit women(Eastern Star) makes you clandestine, are they essentially saying that all GLs, that allow their membership to join OES, are clandestine? Or is the thought that OES isnt "Masonic Communication?"

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Can of worms opened....
1)it says "His revealed will....." What if the candidate belives in a female deity?
2)it talks about sovernign jurisdiction, how do provincial GLs fit in to that as they are over the lodges but the GL is over them?
3)it says "no Masonic Intercourse.......with bodies that admit women to membership" so if they are saying that having Masonic Intercourse with bodies that admit women(Eastern Star) makes you clandestine, are they essentially saying that all GLs, that allow their membership to join OES, are clandestine? Or is the thought that OES isnt "Masonic Communication?"

Noting I do not speak for UGLE...

1. Hmm. Perhaps it is using the masculine pronoun as inclusive in the way we refer to man, but refer to mankind?

2. Correct, PGLs are not sovereign. They are an administrative device. They do not warrant lodges or issue GL certificates to members.

3. OES is the body which admits women, not GLs. It is OES which can't play in our club.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Noting I do not speak for UGLE...

1. Hmm. Perhaps it is using the masculine pronoun as inclusive in the way we refer to man, but refer to mankind?

2. Correct, PGLs are not sovereign. They are an administrative device. They do not warrant lodges or issue GL certificates to members.

3. OES is the body which admits women, not GLs. It is OES which can't play in our club.
Well Id say your our resident UGLE expert....lol....thanks for clarify that.

Btw...i sent you a PM

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I recollect a consensus that TN was formed by a convention of Masons

It was originally the GL of NC & TN, and then TN formed its own, but I was pretty certain several lodges were involved. I'll have to dig into my files for my sources, but I researched it previously as part of GLNM's genealogy.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
"On December 27, 1813, in Knoxville, representatives for eight Lodges met and formed the Grand Lodge of Tennessee."
There we go...