It Doesn't Have to Be Like This

Discussion in 'Masonic Education' started by Blake Bowden, Oct 3, 2013.

1. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

I think Masonry is more along the line of apprenticeship. The apprentice hangs around and helps craftsmen until he gets the hang of it. It is as much a magnetic process as a teach-learn process.

Of course if the existing brethren are social Masons, then it may be harder to find a true craftsman.

Classical likes this.
  2. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Lectures are something that I really enjoy and learn from.

3. Zack

Zack Registered User

What better way to implant the lessons of Masonry firmly in the mind than through repetition and memorization?

Imo, they have to be learned and understood before they can be acted upon.

4. Warrior1256

Exactly. Just memorizing the material and repeating it back without understanding it is meaningless.

5. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

I have met brothers who could recite the ritual and lectures word perfect, even the stage directions. Yet they could not discuss its meaning to save their lives.

Understanding is key. Even at the level of discussing the exact words to understand the content of the ritual at more than an outline level. Once I puzzled out what each line meant, the ritual went from morality plays to rich sources of meaning and vocabulary. And from there started the Masonic education that's about other than ritual. Masonic training is about what the ritual is. Masonic education is about that which is outside the ritual.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  6. Warrior1256

Exactly. Luckily I have access to a number of people that can explain things and I do my own research. I love Masonry and want to learn everything that I am capable of learning.

Share My Freemasonry