My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Warden North or South?

hwood

View attachment 5747
What i circled on there is the working tool...its a lvl....this is looking West

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Good eye. I couldn't even make the symbol out.
Thank you for the information about Oregon lodges.
I didn't even look at the steps they're not even correct. lol. I would agree with you it's from the west.
As I can see there is so much for me to learn in my journey. Thank you very much brother

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Last edited:

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
This is one of these notable differences.

In my lodge, the Junior Warden is in the North and the pillar has a B.
Another lodge that uses the same place, has the B on the other pillar, but the JW in the North as well. Therefor the password for the first two degrees are the other way around than with us. (J for EA and B for FC.)
In both cases the Warden has to oversee the "column" (the bench where people with no function take place) on the same side (looking or walking alongside people), but in other lodges on the opposite side (S for the JW), which makes it easier to see if everybody has the sign right.
If i remember correctly your in a coed lodge right?

Bloke

Premium Member
View attachment 5747
What i circled on there is the working tool...its a lvl....this is looking West

LOL...

As the person who took that photo of a Victorian (in Australia) Lodge Room... I can confirm the tool is the level and in the West.. .and that G is on a string.. and it was moving which is why it is blurred... there are clearer images on the source web site.

And the steps up to warden's seats are not "correct" in that lodge room.. the JW has an extra one..

Bloke

Premium Member
In most of the lodges that I have been in the Chaplain sits in front of and to the left of the WM. In a few places they sit in the north.

Yep, agree.

Here Chaplin, Master and IPM sit together and in a line running north to South on the East wall.. all looking towards west, WM in middle, IPM on the Master's left hand, Chaplain at his right hand.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Here Chaplin, Master and IPM sit together and in a line running north to South on the East wall.. all looking towards west, WM in middle, IPM on the Master's left hand, Chaplain at his right hand.
So far I haven't visited outside of Kentucky. Haven't seen the differences in the other states let alone outside of the country. Maybe someday, lol.

Matt L

Site Benefactor
So far I haven't visited outside of Kentucky. Haven't seen the differences in the other states let alone outside of the country. Maybe someday, lol.

Hey Jarhead, come on down to Tennessee. You got a place to stay and we'll go to some lodges. I'm 30 minutes South of Murray Ky.

Roy_

If i remember correctly your in a coed lodge right?

Yep, but that's not the reason it's the other way around in my lodge. Lodges in the same order, but working with a different Rite, have the Wardens at the same places as us (and the other lodge that uses the same place as we do), but the pillars the other way around. When I ask why it's different with us, the answer is always that it's a matter of looking out from the inside or the other way around. That (of course) does not explain why that choice was made.

A fact remains that it's different in different rites. Even the Wardens 'change places' in some rites. At some point people probably had good reasons to construct it the way they did.

Roy_

Interesting!
You know what's even more interesting? The rite that my lodge uses is based on the 1928 rite of the Grand Orient of the Netherlands (the Dutch regular order), but nowadays we have the pillars differently from them. So did they swap the pillars at some point (they edited the rituals more than we did) or did we?
I'll have to lay my hands on older versions of our own and their rituals to be able to answer that question. This is (fortunately perhaps) not easy. There's similar questions that I'd like to have answered for myself, so I've been tracking down ritual texts recently.