My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just curious...

dfreybur

Premium Member
If only we had a Masonic Science we would be able to move beyond belief and disbelief.

Hmm. Statistical analysis of moral methods can be the subject of observed experiments. It's done in micro-economics in college laboratories. We should be able to devise similar experiments for moral methods.

Science does deal with statistical results. The naysayers love to hammer on that and fail to understand what statistical results mean.

To the extent that Masonic science is in fact a science, belief or disbelief is irrelevant. If I toss you off a cliff I can calculate quite exactly what your chances of floating back to the point I pushed you from (the chance is not zero, really) but you will definitely fall without regard to your belief or disbelief in gravity.

Jason A. Mitchell

Premium Member
Better perhaps not to rely upon (or disbelieve) authorities but to test their statements - as advised by Gautama the Buddha

True, but tell me this: since when is Mackey an authority except for the licensing of his own name and works for profit to himself and grand lodges? Your belief in Mackey as a good source for Masonic information, kinda disproves your own point, no?

Bro Asad

Premium Member
Before I got raised and not too long after, a Brother said you're going to see and hear things that you may not like but don't get discouraged or lose focus.
My question for you all is what have you seen or experienced that may have made you "uncomfortable" or almost "lose focus"?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

Plenty. Masonry is much more expansive than those situations though.
I hope...

acjohnson53

He musta got thrown from the goat to far and hit his head, and as far as your food touching PM at least you got served with a silver spoon, with some kool aid..

Joe Mazzotta

One of the local lodges has a couple of brethren that work as a team to try to change the lodge to fit with their own rather narrow view of Masonry. They are easily offended and do not seem to notice when other brethren are offended by their heavy-handed and transparent attempted takeovers. Fortunately they only make an assault every year or so and we do not see them at other times.
The WM should be able to deal with these idiots.

BullDozer Harrell

"The definition of Freemasonry that it is "a science of morality, veiled in allegory, and illustrated by symbols,"
has been so often quoted, that, were it not for its beauty, it would become wearisome. But this definition
contains the exact principle that has just been enunciated. Freemasonry is a science..."

The Symbolism of Freemasonry, by Albert G. Mackey page 4.

These days it is all too hard for Grand Lodges, what with the loss of the genuine secrets.
Mackey's original words were...'a peculiar system of morality....'

Freemasons over the years have changed wording to suit their needs.
I've seen added, 'a Science of Morality' and even 'a progressive Science of Morality'.

However it just might be that 'peculiar system' is simply the best.

Sent from my SM-N910P using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Mackey's original words were...'a peculiar system of morality....'

Freemasons over the years have changed wording to suit their needs.
I've seen added, 'a Science of Morality' and even 'a progressive Science of Morality'.

However it just might be that 'peculiar system' is simply the best....

And the word does not mean today what it meant years ago...