Knights of Pythagoras and the Symbolic Lodge Connection

Discussion in 'Order of the Knights of Pythagoras' started by RockBender, Nov 20, 2012.

1. RockBender

RockBender Registered User

My question is why does the KOP have a connection with the blue Lodge and not the Knights Templar?

2. clevairack

clevairack Registered User

Have you ever found the answer to this question?

Mario Baptiste (Prospect)

3. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

I have no idea if there is an authoritative answer to the question so I'll give my non-authoritative one.

There is little direct evidence that Masonry emerged from the Knights Templar. Many would like it to be true but the link is speculative. Maybe we can call ourselves the spiritual children. Godchild or stepchild maybe.

One of the symbols used in Masonry is the 47th problem of Euclid. It is also called the Pythagorean Theorem. Pythagoras was the first to prove that the sum of the squares on a right triangle is the square on the hypotenuse.

The public symbol of Masonry is the square and compasses. In high school geometry we learn to make a square using a compass. With the 47th problem we learn an additional way to make a square.

Lodge - Be there *and* be square.

4. clevairack

clevairack Registered User

SMIB

Mario Baptiste (Prospect)

5. RockBender

RockBender Registered User

Through my research I have discovered that Pythagoras had his own group of knights used to protect him. These knights had nothing to do with the Templars. and as for the relationship with the blue lodge I can only speculate that is because of our use of his 47th problem in the symbolic lodge we simply pay honor to him by naming our male youth group after him.

6. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Very interesting.

Share My Freemasonry