My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge Officer Duties - Worshipful Master

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Now I know why I got funny looks while visiting in DC earlier this year, I used our form (RWM) when addressing the Worshipful Master of Federal Lodge No.1.
Yeah, I'm sure that you got a few "looks" but a few chuckles when the situation was explained. Simple difference in jurisdiction.

flipster

I have been WM in years past in another lodge. I was always somewhat tense inside, but don't think I showed it. This time, I can't say why, but I am full of joy sitting in the East. I think the men sense it. I was nominated from the floor after having been asked to accept for 2 months. I only missed one vote as the other voted for himself. He made no mistake about his anger upon leaving. All present were content with their votes. I've known the brother since childhood, and we will survive the matter. One year is such a short term.

usar123

Just reading your Post Brother ! All of us that get a chance to sit in the east get nervous until you get acquainted with the work of the the WM Congrats “ Look to the East “
Past Master
WB . Sal
FT. Jackson Lodge
# 374 AFM
Columbia , SC

Ezekiel mkpa Ben

His Jewel is the Square, which is a stonemason's tool to ascertain true and correct angles of the cut and smoothed stone...thus his Jewel symbolizes virtue.

The Worshipful Master of a Masonic Lodge is the highest ranking of all Lodge Officers which a Lodge may elect. The Worshipful Master sits in the East of the Lodge room (symbolic of the Rising Sun in the East) and directs all of the business of the Lodge. Note: Even if the building faces a different direction, the Master is said to be "in the East". He also presides over ritual and ceremonies.

His position is similar to a President of any other organization. As Master, his word is final over any and all actions pertaining to his Lodge. It is his duty to "Set the Craft to work and give them wholesome instruction for their labor".

While the Worshipful Master's rank is highest of all members, his Lodge Officer Duties are the easiest to remember. The Worshipful Master is responsible for every single thing within his lodge during his year as Master. He is ultimately responsible for every other lodge officer and their duties, every lodge committee, ritual and degree work, Masonic education, social functions, fundraisers, District and Grand Lodge liaison, Trestle Board communication, etc. All eyes are upon the Master. If lodge functions go smoothly, it is the Master who takes the credit. If lodge functions go awry, it is the Master who bears the blame. Therefore, the Master wears many hats.

It is his duty to preside over business meetings, the conferral of degrees, and delegation of duties to all other Lodge Officers.
While Freemasons call the Master, "Worshipful Master", they do not, as some people may erroneously believe, actually worship him. "Worshipful" is an honorary title which shows respect for his position. In France, the word "Worshipful" is replaced with the word "Venerable". It is no different than respecting the office of our President of the United States. He would be addressed, formally, as "Mr. President" rather than by his first name. Likewise, if you go before a judge, you would address him as "Your Honor", rather than by his first name.
Please sir can you help me become Madison menber

LD1513PM

In my lodge, which is one of 11 in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador which still holds of the GL of Scotland, the Master is, as in all Scottish Lodges, the 'Right Worshipful Master'.
I know I've dug an old thread up, but would just like to mention......

You are 100% correct brother.

I'm Scottish and have been the RWM - Right Worshipful Master 3 times in my Blue/Craft lodge, the 1st time as RWM was in 1992, then in 1995 and 2003 and still actively involved.

I hold the title of being the youngest Right Worshipful Master in the modern Scottish Constitution.

I was 24 years old in 1992 when elevated to the chair of King Solomon.

The title Right Worshipful Master is used throughout the Scottish Constitution.

This title has been used to address the master in Scotland since the formation of ( reputed to be the 1st blue Lodge in the world ) Kilwinning number 0 - the lodge is known as Kilwinning number nothing, not Kilwinning number zero.
This lodge administered the first charter to a speculative Scottish lodge in 1677 to Canongate Kilwinning in Edinburgh. Lodge Kilwinning number nothing has been practicing freemasonry before the formulation of the Grand Lodge of Scotland which was consecrated in 1736. The lodge is known as "Mother Kilwinning number nothing".

Another wee fact is Mother Kilwinning number nothing, it is also its own province....so, whoever is elected as Right Worshipful Master, is also Provincial Grand Master of Kilwinning and is automatically elected to be an office bearer in The Grand Lodge of Scotlandin Edinburgh.

Just to deviate slightly, the highest colours of freemasonry in Scotland are green, white and gold.
The PGM is addressed as Provincial Grand Master - nothing else.
The GM of Scotland is addressed as Grand Master Mason - nothing else.

But, the Brother Canadian Paul is 100% correct regarding the way the Master in Scotland is always addressed as RIGHT WORSHIPFUL MASTER.

S.M.I.B

Last edited:
Reactions: 6-7