My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make Room For A New GL in Texas

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Of course, no one condones selling of the degrees, i.e., making a profit from them. Yet, in AASR-SJ, we charge for the 33. In UGLE we charge for promotion to past rank.

One wonders how much responsibility the GLs of the CGMNA bear responsibility for the particular problem of bogus GLs in the African American community, as we in the State GLs labeled all of them clandestine, an error still extant. If all are clandestine (to the majority view), then why does it matter which clandestine group I join?

In CGMNA GLs, there is a list of lodges available to make decisions about who to admit. Remember, not all GLs issue cards.

Additionally, the root problem pointed out by some is that the petitioner doesn't know what's legit and what is clandestine. A central repository won't do any good.

UGLE isn't the grand arbiter of regularity. Indeed, they recognize a different GL in Italy than CGMNA GLs. Many CGMNA GLs have not suspended recognition with GLNF, as the Home GLs have done.

Oh, I am actually sojourning in Maryland this weekend.

crono782

Premium Member
So there's no way to smack the bogus ones down. Maybe a good plan B is to start campaigns by legit GLs trumpeting their legitimacy/superiority/etc. if you can't put the others down, outshine them maybe.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

MoonlightMadness357

Premium Member
Here's the problem, Bro. Lovett: Nobody in the USA "owns" the term "Freemasonry", "Masonic", or associated indicia. They aren't trademarked, and the barn door's been open far too long to seek trademark protection. There is no legal definition of "legitimate" Freemason. As private associations, the only laws that could apply would be fraud, and those are tricky when it comes to establishing historical legitimacy. So long as the claims are vague enough, there's a lot of skirting that can be done. Solution? Education is all we have.

I agree with your statement and that's what is so frustrating about the situation. At some point in history there was no need to do this, everyone who was a mason could identify one another thru our means and it would be ok real was real and fake was fake now they have so much that they almost blur the lines of truth. Incorporated Fraternities and Sororities don't have these issues pretending only gets you so far you start your own chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon or Kappa Alpha Psi you're getting sued. I guess it’s sad to me that the oldest of all fraternities can't do the same to protect its self

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I can see why some people would be taken in because the photos look impressive. Looks can definately be deceiving.

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
If I remember right, there is a term in the New Testament about white-washed walls... all sharp and snazzy on the outside, rotten and corrupt on the inside. I'll feel bad for the guys that for sucked in. Not only are they not legit when they think they are, they got extra steps to go trough should they decide to go the right route.

Kyle Samuel

Premium Member
When you say extra steps, what are you talking about? Just wondering. Also i have to say if they are not legit what are they teaching?

psargent

Nor would anyone in a lodge that's not legally constituted (regular) be able to join appendant bodies such as the SR, YR, or Shrine. Meaning if they do so wish they have to start over and learn what's proper.

Bro Mathews

Premium Member
Have any one heard of this lodge i cant find who there under New Hope lodge# 253 have any one heard of this lodge in Somerville, TX 77879

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Have any one heard of this lodge i cant find who there under New Hope lodge# 253 have any one heard of this lodge in Somerville, TX 77879

Only thing I could find was a facebook post where some guy said he was a member. Clandestine. There are New Hope lodges in both grand lodges in Texas but not in that city and with a different #.

Bro Mathews

Premium Member
i told a few of the guys that they was clandestine and they kinda got mad at me i was not doing it to be mean just wanted to help them buy letting them in on the truth.... did not go so well they start talking bad about prince hall

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
They need to know. Some in them might be in denial, some surely know, and the others are in the dark. But it takes about 5 minutes or less to find out the truth.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
i told a few of the guys that they was clandestine and they kinda got mad at me i was not doing it to be mean just wanted to help them buy letting them in on the truth.... did not go so well they start talking bad about prince hall
Oh that's too bad Bro Matt. Prince Hall Masonry may have some variations with other jurisdictions but they are not bad.
Maybe I should have a contact with them and let them talking bad about the United Grand Lodge of England lol