My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memorization : Best Practices?

cacarter

Premium Member
A lot of times when I'm driving alone for long distances I'll recite aloud the work for each degree. It really passes the time, and keeps it fresh. If you get really bored, sing it.

Martin O

Im just amazed at the difference between now and when I started this thread. I am ready for my exam. Thank you Brothers for the great advice. It's been a big help. Onward and upward :)

davidterrell80

Past Master
Premium Member
Being a visual learner, I drew a floor plan on a piece of poster board and used my son's little green fighting men to represent the action. The grenade-thrower represented "one" of the ruffians and the candidate switched between the rifleman firing from the shoulder, the kneeling bazooka-man, and the prone rifleman, as appropriate. My mentor heard about this and invited me to demonstrate the exercise to some assembled PMs. So, I rehearsed the initiation of "Mr. Rock, Sergeant, USMC"

I hammed it up. They laughed their backsides off. But, I got it all right.

David

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Being a visual learner, I drew a floor plan on a piece of poster board and used my son's little green fighting men to represent the action. The grenade-thrower represented "one" of the ruffians and the candidate switched between the rifleman firing from the shoulder, the kneeling bazooka-man, and the prone rifleman, as appropriate. My mentor heard about this and invited me to demonstrate the exercise to some assembled PMs. So, I rehearsed the initiation of "Mr. Rock, Sergeant, USMC"

I hammed it up. They laughed their backsides off. But, I got it all right.

David

This has to be the most unique way of learning it I've heard. As I often tell people, different method work for different people. Figure out what works for you, and it sounds like you did.

Good luck on your exam Brother Martin!!