My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memphis-Misraim Rite

bjdeverell

Premium Member
For one: they allow women which is a big no no. Other than that, they allow non-Master Masons to join and go through their EA FC and MM then the 4th - 95th Degrees. It's clandestine in every sense of the words and if a Regular MM joins then yes you will be breaking your Masonic Oath and are subject to suspension or even expulsion.

suomilander

The Rite has been banned since 1862 by the Grand Orient of France after the GOF absorped it and put all on the shelf. Any MMr lodges were banned from conferring any degree above 3rd and 1-3 had to conform to GOF rituals. All MMR titles & honors were also banned.

suomilander

The GOF had Adoptive rites which didn't sit well. In 1870 the GOF was de-recognized by most of the world because it abolished the office of GM and disavowing the belief in GOD.

bjdeverell

Premium Member
I knew all that except that the GOF dissolved the office of Grand Master. How does that even work? Who is the leader of the GOF if they've no Grand Master?

suomilander

The Grand Orient of France abolished the office of Grand Master in the 1870's replacing it with a board of comissioners.
the National Grand Lodge of France, the current GL not recognized, extended the term of GM to five years starting with the new GM, but the GM presiding at the time thought it applied to him and wouldn't give up the office...went to court etc.

athelstane839

Ok let's make sure we are not misinformed. The rite of Memphis- Mizraim. At one point was allowed in tge usa and in other countries and is still functioning as a masonic rite for instant United Grand lodge of England acknowledges the rite so does France, Ireland, Canada and Spain.
The fact that women are members is not the problem, throughout Freemasons rich history there have been woman mason even up to this very day so how on earth is that a big no no. That closed minded thinking. Look it up for your self before you start preaching woman can't join they have to join a all female masonic lodge. Here a question god made Adam and Eve and in the garden they both wore aprons yes or no?
So how can a woman not be a masons all woman has to do is trace he Masonic bloodline starting with queen Sheba than to tubalcain mother and even tubalcain sister Awan but to eve in the garden it will become clear that females have a right to masonry.
The reason that Memphis-mizraim is not practice in the USA comes to politics and old fashion way of thinking you would think that if freemasonry started in Egypt than they would have an Egyptian rite. I heard of the Memphis-mizraim rite after becoming the knights commander for the knights of St.Andrews and it was from a active 33rd who invited me into it as an invitational only order.
The biggest problem with grand lodges is that the Memphis rite has degrees 1-3 and this conflicts with them even degrees 4-33 it conflicts with the Scottish rite if the Memphis mizraim who drop the first 33 degrees than it can become a activate body for the general brothers. And allow brothers more light by obtaining degrees 34-99 usually degrees 96-99 is for officers and I even heard of degree100 but thats tgeir version of sovereign grand commander

Freemason Connect Mobile

Jackel

I had done some research of my own a while ago when I first heard of the Egyptian Rite. From what I was able to determine, one of the main reasons that it is irregular is that supposedly the degrees deal with alchemy and apotheosis.

dfreybur

Premium Member
From what I was able to determine, one of the main reasons that it is irregular is that supposedly the degrees deal with alchemy and apotheosis.

Since our craft lodges degrees deal with alchemy and apotheosis that doesn't really make sense. The mysticism is there for the noticing.

I think their degrees might work in the context of exhibition degrees within the Allied masonic Degrees framework. They would be interesting for educational purposes as long as done carefully so as never to claim to make Masons.

Jackel

I don't recall there being any portion of my craft lodge degrees pertaining to actually becoming God...

dfreybur

Premium Member
[h=2]a·poth·e·o·sis[/h] [uh-poth-ee-oh-sis, ap-uh-thee-uh-sis] Show IPA
noun, plural a·poth·e·o·ses [uh-poth-ee-oh-seez, ap-uh-thee-uh-seez] Show IPA . 1. the elevation or exaltation of a person to the rank of a god.

2. the ideal example; epitome; quintessence: This poem is the apotheosis of lyric expression.

Origin:
1570–80; < Late Latin < Greek. See apo-, theo-, -osis

Thanks for getting me to look up the word apotheosis! Until then I only knew the word under its second meaning - setting an ideal example. Or rather targeting an ideal example. So between the two meanings number one does not appear in any degree I've seen or read and if it appears in M-M that explains why it is irregular. And number two appears in pretty much all of our degrees.

The alchemy part is there whether you look for it or not. Targeting an ideal example ...

Jackel

The point I am trying to make is that the Rites of Memphis-Misraim supposedly deal with how someone can actually become God through the use of mysticism and has heavy occult influences.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Freemasonry is highly Platonic, thus the "theos" of Masonic "apotheosis" is not the "ho Theos" of theology and religion. This "theos" would be closer to the "essence" or "substantia"--to shed the unnecessary and become "more human".

MarkR

Premium Member
John 10:34
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, ye are gods?

Yes, Freemasonry teaches us to seek the divine within.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
John 10:34
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, ye are gods?

Yes, Freemasonry teaches us to seek the divine within.

How would Islam see that? They are rather persnickity about separating the Divine from human in all points and aspects.

dfreybur

Premium Member
How would Islam see that? They are rather persnickity about separating the Divine from human in all points and aspects.

They encourage personal excellence, which when it comes down to it is doing your best to emulate divine. There's a line in the sand somewhere. One side of the line is encouraged excellence. The other side of the line is hubris. I think the position of the line varies more by individual than by sect.

I slept on it. In the morning I thought about a spectrum. Setting an example. Living up to an ideal. Emulating the divine in your actions. The two meanings listed in the dictionary aren't as different as I thought when I first read them. They form a spectrum that does not have to cross the line to hubris. How much can one person emulate those in our sacred writings before drawing the admiration of some and the ire of others?

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
One point of interest (and gasoline to the fire); the Rite of Memphis-Misraim is not irregular, any more than the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite is. The majority of the Grand Lodges practicing it, however, are irregular and unrecognized.

crono782

Premium Member
Does this mean that there are/were regular recognized lodges practicing this currently/in the past?

My Freemasonry HD