Military Lodges

Discussion in 'Prince Hall Freemasonry' started by mrpierce17, Aug 9, 2016.

1. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

I have never visited a military lodge and I'm curious to know exactly how they work ?
    1: are they on military bases
    2: are civilian Mason's allowed to visit
    3: do you have to be military or ex military to join

2. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

mrpierce17 likes this.
  3. Ripcord22A

3) it depends really. In OR there was a military lodge up near portland that only allowed active and vets to join but all MMs were welcome. Mil lodges like those charted by the MWPHGLoOK are for all MMs serving in austre invironments

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

BullDozer Harrell and mrpierce17 like this.
  4. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

Thank you we had a military lodge preform the opening this year at grand session I and I think all of the officers where either active duty or retired military

5. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

Is it true that over seas, GL brothers can sit in PHA military lodges even if their GL is not in Amity with their counterparts in State ?

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

6. Ripcord22A

7. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Same.. although in the Victorian Const, there is no lodge on a military base.. not aware of one in Australia...

8. Ripcord22A

Stateside i dont know of any either. But overseas(kuwait, Qatar, iraq, Afghanistan) ive heard of a few

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

9. Travelling Man91

Well I was told this by PM in my lodge that also serves in the military. He said that over seas(Meaning Deployed) all regular masons sit in the same lodge.

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

10. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

There are lodges that are sponsored by the military and operate with the military. Such lodges move with their units. Prince Hall took his degrees in such a lodge. PHA jurisdictions tend to sponsor this type of lodge on military bases overseas. It's a nice symmetry of history. When the bases close these lodges tend to fold as the base is their sponsoring unit.

There are lodges that ask all of their members to be military, police, musicians and so on. You name the profession there may well be a lodge that specializes in it.

You'd have to know which type is meant.

mrpierce17 likes this.
  11. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

Okay, good subject, I was raised in a military lodge
    1. You don't have to be in the military to join

mrpierce17 likes this.
  12. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

Interestingly, I just finished reading "Landmarks of our Fathers" by John Hairston, in which he goes through the primary source documents regarding the beginnings of Prince Hall Masonry. It seems that almost nothing that we have always believed is true, including the Irish military lodge aspect. I recommend the book.

mrpierce17 and Glen Cook like this.
  13. Go49ersuk

Go49ersuk Registered User

Our grand daughter lodge in the Uk is Per Mare Per Terram 9355 a Royal Marine Lodge, there are other service lodges in the UK but to the best of my knowledge they don't meet on active Military Bases but are normally either sister, daughter or even grand daughter lodges to civilian lodges in nearby towns, this is I believe historical but obviously for security reasons it works well, although you don't have to have served in the military to join a military lodge some sort of affiliation is preferred.

14. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Not really true. Each lodge generally decides its membership criteria (within land marks) and military lodges are no different. One military lodge here I'm trying to encourage to "market" itself to historians.

Sadly, I recently discovered the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Lodge here is handing its warrant back

15. Travelling Man91

Question : I've heard so much about "what we believe and what we were taught isn't real" without going into great depts, does the book venture out to say Prince Hall was never a freemason ?

16. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

No, not quite. There were a lot of irregularities in his making, but of course, in the 18th Century there were lots of irregular things happening (The lodge that George Washington was raised in was a "self-starter," operating without authority from any Grand Lodge for a number of years until they got a warrant from the Grand Lodge of Scotland in 1758, five years after Brother George was raised.) The irregularities involving Prince Hall and his compatriots was certainly "healed" when the Grand Lodge of England warranted them.

SimonM likes this.
  17. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Thanks Mark - I was interested in the response.

mrpierce17 and Bro. Landry like this.
  18. Travelling Man91

Interesting. Can you explain the irregularities in him being made a freemason ?

19. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

You really need to read the book to understand. The man who initiated them, although they truly believed that he was a "Grand Master," had no standing to do so, and probably just did it to get money out of them.

20. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I've heard that of today's lodges:)

MarkR likes this.

Share My Freemasonry