My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving to Another Lodge

So I just moved from St George, UT (St George Lodge No. 33 F&AM) to Rigby, ID. The nearest lodge to me is in Idaho Falls (Eagle Rock Lodge No. 19 AF&AM).

I've been a Mason for about nine months now, so I do have a couple of questions on my mind:

Is it common to demit from one lodge in order to afford to affiliate near one's new home?

Is there a huge difference between F&AM and AF&AM?

As much as I absolutely love being a Utah Mason, I fear that (for financial reasons) I'll have to give it up once I affiliate here in Idaho.

Sent from my XT1094 using My Freemasonry mobile app

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
So I just moved from St George, UT (St George Lodge No. 33 F&AM) to Rigby, ID. The nearest lodge to me is in Idaho Falls (Eagle Rock Lodge No. 19 AF&AM).

I've been a Mason for about nine months now, so I do have a couple of questions on my mind:

Is it common to demit from one lodge in order to afford to affiliate near one's new home?
Yep! Very common.
Only if one is Recognized and the other is not. Other than this, rituals are usually very similar but sometimes (rarely) very different depending upon if they are Preston-Webb style or Emulation style.

Recognition is something you should look into if you are wanting to make sure you belong to a GL / Lodge that is compatible with what is usually referred to as "Mainstream Freemasonry".
As much as I absolutely love being a Utah Mason, I fear that (for financial reasons) I'll have to give it up once I affiliate here in Idaho.
Sent from my XT1094 using My Freemasonry mobile app
You are not alone!

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Yes- quite common.
No. There may be some minor differences in the ritual wording & floorwork, but you'll be able to understand what's going on. As both GLoID and GLoUT are both regular, recognized, and in amity with each other, recognition is not an issue. Good luck in your continued Masonic career.

Bloke

Premium Member
You could always ask your current GL or the Sec of St George Lodge No. 33 F&AM to name the Grand Lodge in Idaho you should approach. I'm in the middle of doing that very thing for one of my members... but don't demit from No 33 until you have found a lodge you like in your new home. Use your UT membership to visit the lodges which are now local to you.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Eagle Rock is a legitimate lodge and there are nice folk in it. There is no problem in demitting from St George Lodge. I would recommend you visit some lodge meetings first. Join in ID. Then demit from Utah if you need to.

The differences in ritual are minor. As you haven't learned much yet, it won't be a problem.