My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Mason Jewels made by Revere?

HKTidwell

Premium Member
That rocks, I can't imagine being in an attic fixing the ventilation and somebody going hey what is this I'm standing on. I know that isn't what was said to happen but can you imagine the conversation that occured

Benton

Premium Member
Great story. Having lived in Texas all my life, and only visited the East coast a couple of times, this kind of thing makes me really want to travel to New England and the area more and experience much more early American and Masonic history.

J

JEbeling

Great Story.. ! would like to see them in person.. ! wonder how may Worshipful Masters had them on...? Also loved to have a tour of that lodge building.. ! did you see the benches on the side.. ! and the hand painted checkered floor.. ! would love to visit that lodge.. !

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
FreeMasonry in New England has a long history, Revere Jewels are just a small bit of what is here, I have been in buildings with canopies over the Worshipful Masters chair, Painted ceilings, vaulted ceilings, murals painted on walls, tiled mosiac pavement, fresco murals on ceilings, even a room once in RI that the floor joints were made from chains, they said that when you walked around the room you could feel is sway. A real cable tow suspended around the perimeter of the lodge room from a mastered ship. Currently we are researching my lodge jewels to see if they were made by Revere as well, very similar to others, it is amazing to read books going back to the mid and late 1700's, to hold ladels from a Lodge made by Revere, to using a hand blown lead crystal bell made in the 1820's, to having a Masonic meeting on the deck of the USS Constitution. For any of my Texas brethren ever wishing to visit New England, give me a PM, would be happy to give you some Masonic places of interest.

Nate Riley

Premium Member
Cool find! Are there other sets of jewels make by Revere at other lodges? Given his profession, I could imagine that this is not the only set around.

FreeMasonry in New England has a long history, Revere Jewels are just a small bit of what is here, I have been in buildings with canopies over the Worshipful Masters chair, Painted ceilings, vaulted ceilings, murals painted on walls, tiled mosiac pavement, fresco murals on ceilings, even a room once in RI that the floor joints were made from chains, they said that when you walked around the room you could feel is sway. A real cable tow suspended around the perimeter of the lodge room from a mastered ship. Currently we are researching my lodge jewels to see if they were made by Revere as well, very similar to others, it is amazing to read books going back to the mid and late 1700's, to hold ladels from a Lodge made by Revere, to using a hand blown lead crystal bell made in the 1820's, to having a Masonic meeting on the deck of the USS Constitution. For any of my Texas brethren ever wishing to visit New England, give me a PM, would be happy to give you some Masonic places of interest.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
yes there are other sets, Revere came from St. Andrews Lodge which was under the Scottish Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, the two came together and formed what is today the Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts. Revere was Grand master of the Grand Lodge in around 1796. It is said that the Lodges that he constituted he made the jewels for. I believe during his terms there were over twenty lodges that were formed, some in Maine, since Maine was a part of Massachusetts Masonry til 1820. Not only did he make the jewels, which over time, some were lost, and others lost in fires, made such items as ladles used by Lodges for punches. I know of one lodge that stil has two of the ladles, but the jewels were melted together in a fire. He also made the golden urn that is used at every installation of a new Grand Master, which contains a lock of George Washingtons hair. This urn proceeds the procession of the officers of the Grand lodge as they enter the Lodge Room.