My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Treasure!

Matt Ross

How many of you guys have had the chance to see how Freemasonry is depicted in National Treasure?!?!

I'll admit, while the theory that Freemasons are direct descendants of the Knights of the Crusades is a a bit weird, it actually puts Freemasonry in a really positive light.

The study of the history is part of the reason I joined for sure!

Thoughts?!

Winter

Premium Member
Fun movie. I wouldn't take any of the theories in it as usable. Unless you like the books by Knight and Lomas. LoL

Transmitted via R5 astromech using Tapatalk Galactic

jermy Bell

I think freemasonry is like religion.
No origins and no real time line.
But like religion, we go on Faith and what has been handed down through time .

TonyT2020

How many of you guys have had the chance to see how Freemasonry is depicted in National Treasure?!?!

I'll admit, while the theory that Freemasons are direct descendants of the Knights of the Crusades is a a bit weird, it actually puts Freemasonry in a really positive light.

The study of the history is part of the reason I joined for sure!

Thoughts?!
Great movie... I like movies like National Treasure, Angels & Demons, The Young Pope, and the likes.

William Beals

Intentionally or unintentionally, I believe it (National Treasure) to be a stepping stone. An initial starting point for those that are not aware of freemasonry nor its origins(Not that this movies is correct in its theory of the origins of freemasonry.). How many people now days are firstly introduced to freemasonry through television? It does take a turn as far as the conspiracies and treasures, secrets blah blah, but I can imagine to a blind man(such as myself, so to speak) it can "spark" the imagination which can lead you to a door asking questions which can lead you on a journey that none other than a Mason can attest to. I can imagine that rather any Freemasons are willing to admit it or not, that these situations that are unintentionally in place have brought so many potential brothers knocking and though it may have brought with it the roughest of the rough, I can only imagine that there have been quite a few prosperous additions. As for me.......I'm stuck chasing a carrot surrounded by a light.

Roy_

I'm afraid I differ, but I found National Treasure boring and most Dan Brown films not too exciting either.
Do you know The Freemason (2013 Mirmont)? It's a small production, not too good, but quite a peek into the lodge.
There's also this teen thriller Anatomie in which a girl founds a lodge. Not a suggestion!
A more interesting referral to Freemasonry can be found in the brilliant Carnivalé series. The brothers there are pretty lame, but the series nicely build up the mystery around the order (a Templar order, but alright) and actually comes with a not too negative image.