My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Day Classes

owls84

Premium Member
I apologize if I misread the statement but I though Brother Wingnut was asking why should them going to Iraq or being deployed have any bearing on them being raised before they go. To that I gave why I thought it was important. Is that incorrect?

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Meh. no need for apologies I might be misreading too.

Here's what I see in this conversation - getting deployed is a "come to jesus moment" (in my un-deployed opinion). People probably do "come to Jesus" and the other thing we all see is a spring of weddings before deployments.

While serving your country is an extremely admiral thing, I don't think a 30 year old man deciding to do all of the degrees in an extremely short time necessarily show a good reason for becoming a mason. It sounds a bit like "I'm scared as sh** and I've been suddenly forced to think about my legacy and have to hurry really fast"

A perfectly reasonable and human response. But what of the plumber on their deathbed or diagnosed with terminal disease? What if they're soldiers with terminal diseases?

I'm not sure I fully object to this. But running through the degrees (unless your 18 or 21, just turning of age and signed up) seemed very much like an "O S**" moment instead of an meditated ASK moment.

The only reason I don't fully object is because I believe the Chamber of Reflection is a pretty solid way of making a good man better.

TexMass

I've helped with a state wide One Day Class. I don't care for it but I support it if the GL ask me to help. Of the several Brothers I've kept intouch with who were raised like this, they all say the same thing "I wish I would have gone through the degrees naturally".

Wingnut

Premium Member
That was my point exactly! If they have been eligible to become a Mason for many years and have not sought initiation, why suddenly should the craft make exceptions for them? If it is that important it should have been done earlier. Again, there is NOT a lodge in Iraq they can attend as all are PHA because of the exclusive jurisdiction issue and no 'mainstream' lodges have issued a charter or dispensation to meet.

Last edited:

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
Hey everyone new here, I have my EA ceremony in two weeks. I myself am actually looking forward to the work to become a master mason (o:

cemab4y

Premium Member
I am a civilian Mason, currently deployed to Iraq. Unhappily, there are no operating F&AM lodges, anywhere in Iraq or Afghanistan. There are only Prince Hall lodges here.

During WW2, many lodges operated "round the clock" to assist deploying soldiers in completing the ritual work, when the soldier was deploying. Many of these Masons went to war, and made the supreme sacrifice. Many returned, and went on to serve Masonry well.

I reside in Virginia (My masonic membership is in Kentucky). Virginia has One-Day classes, and has had them for several years. In the Washington DC metro area, where I live, many men have to spend several hours per day commuting, and thus attending degree work during the week is impossible. Having ODC's on Saturdays, has enabled many men to be able to participate in Freemasonry, who otherwise never could.

Several states currently permit ODC's, most have had favorable success with their programs. The current GM of Florida, has stated that there will be no ODC's during his time in office.

I prefer to keep an open mind, with respect to ODC's. In my state of residence, many of the ODC grads have gone on to serve Masonry ( and the appendant/concordant bodies) well.

If a man completes a ODC, and then wishes to view the degree work on a more traditional schedule, he is certainly free to attend degree work, later on.

Andrew Makin

I am a civilian Mason, currently deployed to Iraq. Unhappily, there are no operating F&AM lodges, anywhere in Iraq or Afghanistan. There are only Prince Hall lodges here.
If a man completes a ODC, and then wishes to view the degree work on a more traditional schedule, he is certainly free to attend degree work, later on.

Greetings Can you not visit a Prince Hall Lodge? I was under the impression that they were now recognised Mind you I am speaking as an English Mason
Sorry what is an ODC
Mind how you go Brother and get home safe

Andrew

Andrew Makin

sorry I had not worked out how to show the entire thread Now I do know what an ODC is

We do not have them in England

Andrew

Zack

QUOTE The current GM of Florida, has stated that there will be no ODC's during his time in office.QUOTE

APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE

cemab4y

Premium Member
My Grand Lodge considers all Prince Hall lodges to be "clandestine". If I attend a Prince Hall lodge, I can be suspended or expelled.

Andrew Makin

I wonder why that is
I am sure it cant be because they are Black can it?
I am sure we recognise PH Lodges so I probably cant correspond with you as we probably don't recognise your mother constitution

Read your Kipling and hope the guy in the gun tower protecting you is not a racist shit like you

Andrew Makin
4525 English cons
And very angry that you were even admitted

This post earned this user an infraction (5 pts)

-JTM

Last edited by a moderator:

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I wonder why that is
I am sure it cant be because they are Black can it?
I am sure we recognise PH Lodges so I probably cant correspond with you as we probably don't recognise your mother constitution

Read your Kipling and hope the guy in the gun tower protecting you is not a racist shit like you

Andrew Makin
4525 English cons
And very angry that you were even admitted

You should brush up your history before you come to this site and personally attack a Brother Mason.

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member

Besides being defamatory and entirely uncivil - this is like calling an abolitionist or freedman in a slave state a slaveowner.

GL laws and actions are separate from the men in those jurisdictions. On any issue, a man can only be judged on the stance or action he himself took or is able to take.

cemab4y

Premium Member
My Grand Lodge accepts men of all races, colors, and creeds. The current Grand Master has issued an edict stating this fact. At the current time, there are about 13 Grand Lodges, that do not recognize Prince Hall Masonry. Sadly, my Grand Lodge is one of them. Negotiations are underway, to recognize Prince Hall Masonry. I am thrilled that my home Grand Lodge is moving towards this worthy goal. I belong to three lodges, two of which recognize Prince Hall Masonry. But my home lodge membership "trumps" my other two memberships, and I could be disciplined for attending a Prince Hall lodge meeting.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Woah. where did this come from?

Feel free to report those posts.

Get it back on track or it'll be locked.

Stewart Cook

Unacceptable. Thoroughly unacceptable.
Mouth to ear...as it has always been done...nothing less...or a lesser Mason it will make.