Orientation of the pillars

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Roger McDonald, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Roger McDonald

Roger McDonald Registered User

I am attempting the memorize the MC lecture/ aka the staircase lecture. Boaze is on the lft hand side while jachin is on the right. Is left and right the perspective as if being inside or outside the temple?

2. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

The pillars are at the entrance and the brethren pass between them to enter the temple.

3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Just curious....what lodge do you belong to?

Glen Cook likes this.
  4. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Yeah I would maybe cipher your questions a little better as well, Rog.

bupton52 and Bloke like this.
  5. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

Lodge name, number and location? Better ask your lodge officers!

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

6. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Not all states indicate which orientation. In California I learned "floor work" to point with my right hand when saying that on your left and vice versa. This tells me that in California it is the perspective of the candidate that matters. This makes sense as the degrees are always about the candidate. No such "floor work" happens in Illinois. Texas deletes the lecture from the SD and moves it to the east at the end of the degree so there too orientation is not specified.

The King James Version says bowls. The ritual says balls. It's a fun mutation in our ritual. Does any jurisdiction teach which globe goes with which name? When setting up I try to put the celestial globe on the candidate's right so it gets mentioned second. Because astronomy is mentioned in the second degree. But that's just me.

7. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

In NJ, the candidate walks with the SD so the right and left are the same for both.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  8. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

How do you enter a building? From the outside

Bill Lins likes this.
  9. Roger McDonald

Will do in the future. Though i haven't seen them referenced in the bible, i thought they were, thus common knowledge, however i see your point will be more careful going forward.

10. Roger McDonald

My feeling is that i am facing the building, therfor it would be my left and right. Several brothers suggest the opposite. One of the more experienced guys explains its from the outside also.

11. Roger McDonald

Fairbanks 12, fairbanks, alaska. I believe i have my answer. Going with the perspective of entering, rather than already being inside.

12. Roger McDonald

I have a great coach/ mentor who has set me on the right path. Thaks to everyone for the help.

13. Warrior1256

Same in Kentucky.

14. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

In CA and IL the SD drops the candidate off just outside of the pillars, steps through, turns and addresses the candidate through the pillars. Same wording but different floor work, therefore gesturing with the other hands.

15. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

Guess what? I bet you won't believe it that GLof PA does EVERYTHING differently. NO pillars here!

16. billyjfootball

billyjfootball Registered User

I always felt that we (PA) were missing out on this part. I find it quite interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Mobile

17. Roy_

Roy_ Registered User

A little anecdote. My (irregular) Mother lodge and the (also irregular) lodge I'm member of now, both work with a ritual that is ultimately based on Emulation. Both lodges rent their space from (regular) Grand Orient of the Netherlands lodges. The GON lodges have their pillars the other way around than we do! Also the Lesser Lights are different from us and perhaps even the officers are switched. In 'our case' the Junior Warden sits in the North-West near the pillar B overlooking the EAs while the JW sometimes sits in the South-East so he has a better look at the North column (where the EAs sit). Then again, the EA password with us is (of course) B, while there are lodges where the EA password is J, so the pillars may be the other way around as the Wardens.
    To finish the anecdote. The lodge room of my mother lodge has the Latin letters stuck to the pillars with velcro. My current lodge has Hebrew letters that can't be removed, so when the WM asks the JW what his place in the lodge is, he'll say: "In the West near column B" while a Jod is visible over his head.

I guess what I'm saying is: it depends.

18. Warrior1256

I'm shocked, shocked I say....lol.

Bill Lins and dfreybur like this.
  19. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

I’m not sure if we helped you or just entertained ourselves. :).

Bill Lins likes this.
  20. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

Don't worry, you're not the only jurisdiction that doesn't mandate pillars. Our pillars have been reduced to the Wardens columns. Although, a few older lodge rooms still have them, there's no mention of them in our ritual as physical objects in the temple.

Share My Freemasonry