My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petitions and investigation reports

E

eagle1966

Question: i know that when a petitiion is rec'd it must be read in it's entirely to the lodge, but after the investigation committee reports are turned in- is it nesscary to re read the petition again in it's entirely or just simply report the committees finding of favorable or unfavorable?

robert leachman

Not sure what Masonic law says but I think reading the petition and hearing the IC report would be a good idea. There may be Brothers present that were not there the night the petition was first read or there may be several petitions turned in on short order and no one wants to get candidates confused.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Art. 412. Committee: Duties and Report.
<snip> Before a ballot can be taken a signed report of each of the three members of the committee shall be attached to the petition and read to the Lodge; each of which reports shall cover all matters referenced in this Article and in Form No. 28.

While the above section of Art. 412 requires that the investigating committee reports shall be read to the Lodge, I find nothing in the Law requiring the actual Petition to be read twice. That not withstanding, I believe that, due to the fact that there may be Brethren present at the meeting at which the ballot is to be taken who were not present at the meeting at which the Petition was received, it would be good practice and to the advantage of the Craft for the Petition to be read to the Lodge again. Of course, YMMV.

Last edited: