My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prince Hall and Mainstream Freemasonry

To what extent should we extend relations between PHA and Mainstream Freemasonry

• Mutual Recognition Only (Currently Is Now)

Votes: 23 16.7%
  • Intervistation Between Lodges

Votes: 87 63.0%
  • Ability to join BOTH PHA or Mainstream Lodges

Votes: 61 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ess1113

Premium Member
I think whatever we as a Grand Lodge decide to do, we should constantly work in unison with the Prince Hall Grand Lodge. It always sounds unilateral on this board but I dont hear alot in any forum about Prince Hall wanting intervisitation. Are we forcing the issue?

I am a plural member in another Grand Lodge and they debated the issue into the ground and then proposed to PHA intervisitation, and PHA politely declined. They are as equally proud, and protective of their heritage and traditions as we are of ours. Rightfully so.

We have alot of options open to us as a Grand Lodge. Change, modify, adapt, or accept. Allowing the status quo is an option also and we can just consider that. We can have mutual recognition without there being a lack of respect.

Personally, if I am driving and see the sign of distress, I would rush to the relief of the brother without checking an ID card or considering skin color. Thats just the way I apply that aspect of my obligation. I dare say that 99% of the membership of this Grand Lodge would do the same. I hope the same applied to PHA. I have served with PHA masons in the Army for years and they are exactly like me. Dedicated, committed, concerned, and loyal to the craft. Just because I dont sit in lodge with them and they dont sit in lodge with me doesnt detract from our perspective devotion to our grand lodges.

Lets change if we need to change but lets always pray and be open with all the options.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I'd like to see the PHA GL of Texas vote to recognize members of the GL of Texas and put the ball in "our" court, it has been done. It would make pace makers go off and people take notice!

ess1113

Premium Member
I'd like to see the PHA GL of Texas vote to recognize members of the GL of Texas and put the ball in "our" court, it has been done. It would make pace makers go off and people take notice!

Best way to gain legitimacy in the argument. Thank you

scialytic

Premium Member
I think whatever we as a Grand Lodge decide to do, we should constantly work in unison with the Prince Hall Grand Lodge. It always sounds unilateral on this board but I dont hear alot in any forum about Prince Hall wanting intervisitation. Are we forcing the issue?

I am a plural member in another Grand Lodge and they debated the issue into the ground and then proposed to PHA intervisitation, and PHA politely declined. They are as equally proud, and protective of their heritage and traditions as we are of ours. Rightfully so.

We have alot of options open to us as a Grand Lodge. Change, modify, adapt, or accept. Allowing the status quo is an option also and we can just consider that. We can have mutual recognition without there being a lack of respect.

Personally, if I am driving and see the sign of distress, I would rush to the relief of the brother without checking an ID card or considering skin color. Thats just the way I apply that aspect of my obligation. I dare say that 99% of the membership of this Grand Lodge would do the same. I hope the same applied to PHA. I have served with PHA masons in the Army for years and they are exactly like me. Dedicated, committed, concerned, and loyal to the craft. Just because I dont sit in lodge with them and they dont sit in lodge with me doesnt detract from our perspective devotion to our grand lodges.

Lets change if we need to change but lets always pray and be open with all the options.

You know...I never thought about that. That is a profound thought/observation...

CajunTinMan

Not me Brothers, you’ll never catch me sitting in lodge with................…… a like minded person with similar interest, and a love for the craft. Wait a minute, why ain’t I having Brotherly communication with this person? Oh yeah, that’s right, the irregular regular thing and the two Grand lodges thing too. Humm? Aren’t they both recognized by the UGLE? That would make both Lodges regular right? And as far as two Grand Lodges, I know that if “mainstream” Masonry was told that we could no longer practice we would find a way to survive too. Isn’t that what Prince Hall did? We are all free born men who share a love for what we do and to me a Brother is a Brother is a Brother. When I see a PHA I see a Mason and look forward to the day when we can share more then just respect and Brotherly love with one another. I always respect the edicts of my Grand Lodge and I know that this is not just a one way situation. But if I fail to voice my opinion then only the opposition voices theirs. And nothing changes.

Last edited:

AJLamorand

OK so I have been an EA for only a short time and I do not understand the problem with the Prince Hall Masons entering AF AM lodge. If the Bible is suppose to be the guide to our faith and practice and we are suppose to square our actions by the square of virtue, what is the problem? Maybe it is not my place to ask such questions as I am so new to Masonry. If so my apologies if I have committed a grievous error.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
OK so I have been an EA for only a short time and I do not understand the problem with the Prince Hall Masons entering AF AM lodge. If the Bible is suppose to be the guide to our faith and practice and we are suppose to square our actions by the square of virtue, what is the problem?

People still live who remember when Jim Crow was law of the land.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I was just looking at the vote on this poll.

Were it a true picture of masons viewpoints, this issue could have been solved sometime back. Unfortunately, I think may of the nay-sayers aren't represented. It's going to be a long, tough road to hoe. But one worth cultivating.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Old men with old attitudes aren't as prone to using web-based bulletin boards. But they do predominate within Texas masonry.

Michael Neumann

Premium Member
The petitions have been posted both on this site in the building fraternal relations section and on a FB page dedicated to the cause - https://www.facebook.com/MasonicAmity . I am building a website to take the heat off of this forum if we stir the wrong kind of attention but in the mean time Masons of Texas and the page Masonic Amity are providing support. I am going to launch an ad campaign on FB and would "like" your assitance in the form of "shares" and emailing the forms/links to our brethren. I am tracking number of form submissions so I can provide weekly feedback to anyone interested.

mrmarcust

Premium Member
I just read the poll for the first time. Couldn't see it on tap a talk. Either way, possibly I never see the last option of being a member of both. PH can't do that within their item jurisdiction now as I understand it. Yes no plural our duel memberships.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Vitriol Knight

Opposition comes from both sides to the issue; the majority of PHM brothers want the separation. (that's conjecture on my part)
I believe that we should look at ourselves and promote the true meaning of masonry within our own lodges before worrying about these things.
Personally I think PHM is going strong and should be promulgated to the greatest extent. I'm not sure why we would have a need to make an issue on the subject but some of the best knowledge I have obtained on my journey has been from PHM sites. May e this is due to a more serious approach from the average PHM mason versus the average blue lodge mason.
Regardless, a brother is a brother, if Brother Rudyard Kipling has no problem sitting in lodge with a Moslem, a Hindoo, and a Jew; who am I to say nay. I'm for open visitation and promoting PHM most especially in urban communities but find it equally important that PHM lodges remain distinct with the traditions that they have. I doubt that a PHM lodge would want to go under a regular grand lodge anyways.

Freemason Connect Premium App

Vitriol Knight

Back in the 1700's Prince Hall pettitioned for a charter from the Grand Lodge Of England and recieved no reply. ( given the mail system and the political situation not a surprise) From what I know the Grand Lodge Of Pennsylvania and the Grand Lodge of Massachussets both requested the (at the time British military lodge from an Irish Regiment essentially abandoned at the retreat from Boston) be recognized and chartered under their authority; Prince Hall declined. PHM has always declined, they have a proud history and probably want to keep it. No reason to fix things that are not broken. Accept them in your hearts as brothers if you like and that is all that really counts, no dues card can make or change that.

Michael Neumann

Premium Member
...; the majority of PHM brothers want the separation. (that's conjecture on my part) ....I'm for open visitation and promoting PHM most especially in urban communities but find it equally important that PHM lodges remain distinct with the traditions that they have. I doubt that a PHM lodge would want to go under a regular grand lodge anyways.

Courtesy of Google

Vit-ri-ol - Noun

1. Sulfuric acid.
  2. Cruel and bitter criticism.

Curious name but criticism is welcome provided it is constructive. It is my personal belief that there would be much lost if we combined Mainstream and PHA but there would be much gained through visitation.

Last edited:

Vitriol Knight

No critic here; I understand what you want to do and only hope the intent is benign. Let us reflect upon ourselves, deep within the earth we will find the secret stone. Look past the outer veil Michael and you will find the true meaning of Vitriol which has no definition on Google.
This cannot be explained to anybody with words but it can be shown with symbols.

dfreybur

Premium Member
It is my personal belief that there would be much lost if we combined Mainstream and PHA but there would be much gained through visitation.

The Antient and Modern GLs united in 1813. Few think much was lost when they united. Not that we should unite just because a pair of GLs have done so in the past, just that we have a good model for how to go about it should there be a mutual decision to unite. I don't think either GL will offer unification to the other and I don't think either GL would accept unification if offered.

There is something to be lost from not uniting, though. The American Principle of Exclusive Jurisdiction gets weaker with every recognition that is not a unification. That means any ability to object to sponsoring lodges in occupied territory gets weaker. Let's say Alabama starts chartering lodges in Alaska - The case to object is pretty weak when there are already 2+ other GLs in operation in that region.

Status
Not open for further replies.