My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question

Mindovermatter Ace

The debate about clandestine is WHO is clandestine and who isn't. I admit it wouldn't secure the site 100%. That would be nearly impossible, however it would reduce the number of impostors significantly. I bet I can contest the authenticity of your Dutch certificate.

Mindovermatter Ace

All of you forget that one of the largest parts of Masonic history are modes of recognition and being able to identify a non-mason. Do you honestly believe that we cannot come up with something modern to identify a true mason? Even corporations have authentication protocols for its employees when logging into a corporate website. You guys aren't looking at the bigger picture. It can definitely be done.

vangoedenaam

Premium Member
Technology has options, but it would require a lot of work and worldwide standardization to work. As long as we cant even agree on the meters vs inches debates, standardisation on authenticating masons isnt gonna happen any time soon.

As an IT architect, i can design working solutions for this, thats not the problem. The implementation is and that requires a lot of ppl at grandlodges to work on it worldwide. Quite the project.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Name me a corporation with six million employees spread over the globe. I guarantee they have security issues online.
There are hundreds of grand lodges with thousands of lodges. Some of those don't even have a phone.
I see the "big picture," I just don't see a need to be proven online. If I want a duly tyled meeting, I'll go to one. We're pretty good at weeding out the cowans face-to-face.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I have a question...what does Lodge #3 F&AM mean?

That's a partial specification for a lodge so you'd need more of its parts. And it's not a particularly good abbreviation because it leaves out important parts (name of lodge and name of grand lodge) in favor of an unimportant part (the initials are decorative not meaningful in general).

Pasadena 272, California Free and Accepted Masons is my mother lodge. That can be abbreviated down to Lodge #272 F&AM if we know we are discussing California and we have already checked whether the other regular and recognized jurisdiction MWPHAGLofCA lists itself as F&AM or AF&AM. In California PHA is listed as F&AM so the abbreviation is ambiguous there.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
One of my lodges has an excellent website for members. Recently, a clandestinely made mason was accepted into the lodge, slipping through all the checks and balances of both lodge and grand lodge. When he was discovered, he had to be cast out by an official ballot, and all passwords changed. It's been a long and tedious process with finger-pointing and name calling. The largest factor in the equation was that all the verification had to be done online.

vangoedenaam

Premium Member
Cant a clandestine mason be made legit somehow? Cleansed? Exorcised? Whatchamightcallit?

widows son

Premium Member
Trysquare, what do you mean when you say all the passwords had to be changed?

BroBook

Premium Member
This is exactly the issue I was talking about with this forum. Here is this guy asking a question as if he is a mason and not at the very least a candidate, yet here you are having "Masonic intercourse" with a Cowan. Although I value his honesty about not being a mason I feel we are too ready to provide information about masonry when our OBs strictly forbid it.

I was going to let it go my brother but, but no I am not a Cowan I was I,P & R in 1984 , the state I live in has two grand lodges proclaiming to be prince hall, thanks to this site I became aware that although the grand lodge under whose protection I was under hold both charters they are not one who is recognized " living schism" in closing without trying to sound arrogant I am a mason's mason I Am the well informed brother!!!

Bro Book

BroBook

Premium Member
Cant a clandestine mason be made legit somehow? Cleansed? Exorcised? Whatchamightcallit?

Yes they call it healing in prince hall , that is the process I going through now do not know how it is accomplished, will know soon !!!

Bro Book

bupton52

Premium Member
I was going to let it go my brother but, but no I am not a Cowan I was I,P & R in 1984 , the state I live in has two grand lodges proclaiming to be prince hall, thanks to this site I became aware that although the grand lodge under whose protection I was under hold both charters they are not one who is recognized " living schism" in closing without trying to sound arrogant I am a mason's mason I Am the well informed brother!!!

Bro Book

They do not hold both charters and a GL doesn't need a charter.

vangoedenaam

Premium Member
I may start a debate here, but if a man is a good man who lives and breathes masonically, i would call him brother and treat him as one. The problems with recognition are largely political in my opinion. I think broader recognition would only strengthen masonry. Lets not quable amongst ourselves so much.

In my country we have 600 different brands of christianity too, they all are the only true version, sometimes differing in the explanation of only a few words in the bible. It doesnt help much to unite humanity and make the world a better place.

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
We are a fraternity, not a church. We have obligations of which we swore to uphold. If we aren't men of our word, what are we? If we don't agree with the obligations, why take them? Not everyone can or should be a mason.

Cblack

Bro Book...I take it that you are from Louisiana

Sent from my SPH-L710 using My Freemasonry HD mobile app

Cblack

I've been good Brother Sells....I'll be in Longview this weekend

Sent from my SPH-L710 using My Freemasonry HD mobile app