My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question

Jamesb

My nephew who was always the kid who skipped school and had the attitude has been transformed by the US Military. I haven't seen him for 6 years except in relays from my mother, you know the...have you heard he's gotten married...kid etc....sent to Afganistan x2.

Recently my father passed away and at his funeral was this stiff as a board corperal with a wife and two children, asking to have a moment of my time. He asked me (in the course of the weekend) about becoming a mason, and although I found myself wanting to jump at the chance, I wanted to see about the potental his rough and roudy past might play before I hand him a petition.
He has had a few run in's so to speak but only one with some probationary requirements. But looking at this Man where a un-inspired boy used to be, makes me want to send him to a lodge; I just do not wish his past to deal him a disappointment.

How should I handle this?

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Wow, I would just get him in contact with a decent lodge, and let their investigation committee do their job. Use yourself as a reference, and hopefully one of them will call you, and you can tell them the deal.

J

JEbeling

I think he would be great.. !
if its anything serious let the investegation committe work.. !
some time we all did things in our younger day we are not proud of..? :biggrin:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Wow, I would just get him in contact with a decent lodge, and let their investigation committee do their job. Use yourself as a reference, and hopefully one of them will call you, and you can tell them the deal.

+1 (The Shelton)

JBD

Premium Member
Let he who without sin cast the first stone

There is no one in any Lodge anywhere who does not have some kind of wart.
Think of the change from Saul to Paul
Get him a petition, go with him to submit it, be there for his degrees if he is so voted.
THEN - support his Masonic growth - be an example unto him.

Wingnut

Premium Member
I have a friend that I grew up with that had some rough times. He picked up a DUI a few years back. He has paid his debt and has had no problems at all. All the GL officers and lodge officers Ive talked have told me the same thing: put in a petition, admit that you had some 'sins of youth' and stand up to them. If that is his only blemish it shouldnt be an issue. The worst thing they could do is to hide it... Id still try to find someone I know at the nearest lodge to him and grease the skids so to speak. As long as its not a felony or moral turpitude there shouldnt be a problem.

Bro Mike

There is a good Lodge in Leander, Norton Moses #336 Norton Moses Masonic Lodge. Leander is right next to Cedar Park. Or send him my way if he is interested in Round Rock Lodge #227. Both have lots of young guys around.

You can message me for my contact info.

LRG

Premium Member
Let he who without sin cast the first stone

There is no one in any Lodge anywhere who does not have some kind of wart.
Think of the change from Saul to Paul
Get him a petition, go with him to submit it, be there for his degrees if he is so voted.
THEN - support his Masonic growth - be an example unto him.

:sc: Awesome :sc:

OwenKL

He has passed the first and, for many, the greatest hurdle to becoming a Mason. He has asked. Get that man a petition before he changes his mind!

Ben Rodriguez

If he is dedicated and well reformed, I see no problem handing him a petition for the degrees of Masonry. Now, his troubles from a while are not so recent, so I see nothing wrong with him joining our fraternity. We do take good men, and from the sounds of it, he is now a good man, responsible and brave for serving our nation :)