My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons for becoming a Freemason

What induced you to become a Freemason?

• Fascinated by the rich history.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • The Ritual work

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Wanted to be part of a social club

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I wanted to be part of a charitable organization

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • A family member(s) was one

Votes: 40 38.5%
  • Mysteries surrounding the Craft

Votes: 32 30.8%

• Total voters

jwhoff

Premium Member
Constantly rethinking my positions in life.

So ...

Power, greed, wealth, CONTROL are my current leanings.

With me Wild bill_Lins?

:sneaky2:

kastonw

Premium Member
I was a member of DeMolay when I was a younger and when I had to leave due to family reasons I always wanted to be a Mason

virtus junxit mors non separabit

CuAllaidh

curiosity is never a good answer during an investigation...

Why not? Curiosity is natural, its what drives humanity. I gave curiosity as part of my answer for why I wanted to join, the investigation committee didn't seem to mind. Sure if its the sole reason for joining perhaps the person is not yet ready for masonry, but lets be honest before joining I am sure all of us were pretty darned curious about what actually goes on in a lodge. Honesty above all else is one of my personal tenets and I believe I held true to that on my application and my investigation, so when they asked why I wanted to join "curiosity" and "to join a social organization" were among my answers.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
If all the candidate has is curiosity, then it's not a good reason. Seen too many wash out like that. From your post, it would seem that we agree on that point.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

CuAllaidh

If all the candidate has is curiosity, then it's not a good reason. Seen too many wash out like that. From your post, it would seem that we agree on that point.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

We absolutely agree on that point. My issue was really primarily with the "....never a good answer". I was probably just nit picking on semantics though ;)

Brandon Smith

When I was a teenager I stumbled upon my Grandfathers Fez. He did not wear any jewelry or the like so this was the first time I had seen such a thing. He explained what the fez was and that he was a mason. He would only tell me that joining the lodge was one of the best things he had ever done and that they make good men better.

As I grew older that stuck with me. I have always looked up to my grandfather and have strived to live up to the same moral standard he did. I figured joining the lodge would help me take the next step in being the best man I could be. I petitioned the lodge after college and he traveled to La from Tn when I was raised. Certainly one of the best things I have ever done as well.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Dozens of men in my family are Masons. However, when I moved off after joining the Army I believed Masonry to be not such a good organization. Then when my grandfather passed and he had a Masonic funeral I began to think for myself. I read things from anti-Masonic sources and these seem so far fetched they could not be real. Not based on the men that I knew who were Masons. I read things from Masonic sources and this all seemed to make sense.

I finally decided the only way I could really find out was to become a Mason. It is one of the best things I have ever done!

tldubb

Premium Member
Dozens of men in my family are Masons. However, when I moved off after joining the Army I believed Masonry to be not such a good organization. Then when my grandfather passed and he had a Masonic funeral I began to think for myself. I read things from anti-Masonic sources and these seem so far fetched they could not be real. Not based on the men that I knew who were Masons. I read things from Masonic sources and this all seemed to make sense.

I finally decided the only way I could really find out was to become a Mason. It is one of the best things I have ever done!

Excellent testimony Bro.! Amen SMIB!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using My Freemasonry HD mobile app

Morris

Premium Member
When I was a kid I saw a S&C on a headstone. I have been searching for "why" that moment grabbed me ever since then.