My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Received the 33rd Degree Today

MarkR

Premium Member
Whats strange though is that at valley meetings its mostly white hats....
We have a lot of red and white caps at our meetings, too. Not strange, though. Those caps go to the brothers who are always there, doing the work of the valley. The vast majority of the black caps are like the vast majority of blue lodge brothers; you rarely see them.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Well if he did say that, and if it did happen that is as unmasonic as it gets. Now from my understanding the Degree fee isnt cheap but you pay that after being selected. Also alot of the 33rds have given loads of cash over their masonic careers but thats not the same as buying the degree

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Well if he did say that, and if it did happen that is as unmasonic as it gets. Now from my understanding the Degree fee isnt cheap but you pay that after being selected. Also alot of the 33rds have given loads of cash over their masonic careers but thats not the same as buying the degree

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry mobile app
I'll look into it a little more and get back with you on it brother.

The Traveling Man

Not in AASR SJ and NMJ. In clandestine Masonry, certainly

I sit on our Valley's screening committee. We pick from across the social strata.
I'm curious, are there Any fees involved in receiving the 33rd. I do remember years ago hearing something about Brothers paying to receive the 33rd. I remember thinking "why would someone be required to pay for something they didn't petition for or request"? Then I remember hearing (not sure if it was during the same conversation or at a later time) that recipients were asked to make a donation. I never gave it any thought back then because i hadn't even joined the Scottish Rite yet, but seeing this post makes me curious.

I'm assuming that being on the screening committee means you're a 33° and can speak from experience (if you're allowed to speak on it)..

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

MarkR

Premium Member
I'm curious, are there Any fees involved in receiving the 33rd. I do remember years ago hearing something about Brothers paying to receive the 33rd. I remember thinking "why would someone be required to pay for something they didn't petition for or request"? Then I remember hearing (not sure if it was during the same conversation or at a later time) that recipients were asked to make a donation. I never gave it any thought back then because i hadn't even joined the Scottish Rite yet, but seeing this post makes me curious.
I can't speak for the NMJ, but in the SJ, yes, there's a fee involved in receiving both the KCCH and the 33°. IIRC, my KCCH fee was $200. But I was informed that I had been elected to receive the honor before I was asked for the fee, and could have declined the honor if I had chosen to. It's not a donation, it's an initiation fee, just like you paid when you joined your Lodge or your Scottish Rite Valley.

The Traveling Man

I can't speak for the NMJ, but in the SJ, yes, there's a fee involved in receiving both the KCCH and the 33°. IIRC, my KCCH fee was $200. But I was informed that I had been elected to receive the honor before I was asked for the fee, and could have declined the honor if I had chosen to. It's not a donation, it's an initiation fee, just like you paid when you joined your Lodge or your Scottish Rite Valley.
Thanks for the clarification. Initiation fee does make sense. I didn't even know there was an initiation with KCCH. I thought it was more of an honor than a degree. Good info Brother.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

MarkR

Premium Member
Thanks for the clarification. Initiation fee does make sense. I didn't even know there was an initiation with KCCH. I thought it was more of an honor than a degree. Good info Brother.
It's not a degree (or a half-degree, as some have said in the past.) It's a ceremony of investiture. You are invested with the rank and decoration of a Knight Commander of the Court of Honour. Yes, they use the British spelling of Honor. The ceremony is conducted in a Court of Honour, takes about an hour, and can only be attended by 33rds and KCCH. Those who are going to be invested cannot attend the opening of the Court of Honor; they are brought in as a group after it has been opened.