My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Receiving Correction

Drew1971

Premium Member
Hi brothers, I just wanted an opinion on a situation that happened which was pretty minor but for some reason bothered me. I was sent a text from a brother after a stated meeting that more or less implied I had said something out of line. I didn't feel like I had but sent a text saying that I would be more cautious but really felt like I shouldn't have been corrected at all. Any insight on dealing with these type of situations? Thanks in advance. Drew.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Your post is kind of vague. Did you say something in terms of ritual that a brother felt was in error, or did you make a motion or something he had a problem with? I'm guessing the latter. Unless it was some kind of major blowup, just take it in stride and let it rest. Everyone isn't going to agree on all points 100 percent of the time. The biggest piece of advice is to speak with the brother and come to some kind of terms, even if it's agree to disagree. Every person in open lodge has the right to speak his mind. What he says may or may not fly, but he should be given the benefit of being heard.

Drew1971

Premium Member
I was invited to a function from an appendant body and told my brothers at the lodge that at the function I was offered a beer. I told the brothers about the experience and really played it off as a joke. A brother involved with the appendant body has sent me a text saying I really shouldn't say that alcohol is involved with this body. It just kind of rubbed me the wrong way but I'm sure it's really a non issue.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Honestly, living where we do, it was probably good advice. I'm certain it is in the Tennessee Masonic Code that alcohol isn't supposed to be served at lodge buildings. It's just one topic I avoid like the plague. I like beer. We have some Lodge members who think if you walk past the beer aisle in the grocery store you are going to hell. To me, it's just not worth bringing up to get someone in a tizzy.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Brother, may I speak to you for a minute?

I'm now aware that I made a mistake. Thanks for the correction. However if in the future you need to say something to me please do it in person.

I will afford you the same respect if I ever need to do same.

Thanks.

Peace and Harmony but remember, being a Mason does not mean you get to to be walked over like a floor mat.

MarkR

Premium Member
I'd rather he give me his concerns privately via electronic communication than in front of others.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I'd rather he give me his concerns privately via electronic communication than in front of others.
I understand the privacy it affords. I also know that electronic communication lacks emotion and the tone could be misinterpreted.

There is a time and a place for everything.

Here is my take on the original post.

The brother doing the correcting was too afraid to do it in person or had a bug up his butt and just wanted to be heard.

It was a text message which means the Brother sending the text had a phone in hand and the OP's number to send the text.

If privacy was the issue, dial the number at a convenient time or ask the brother to call you at a convenient time.

afterlodgejason

Maybe he didn't view it as that big of a deal either because he sent it in a text. If I needed to give a brother a heads up a text would not be out of line. If it was something I was upset about I would call or talk to him face to face. For example a new master once made a small protocol mistake involving the district deputy. I forgot to talk to him about it after Lodge so I sent him a text when I remembered. It wasn't that big of a deal. This maybe the same kind of thing.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Last edited:

afterlodgejason

On a side note sometimes I don't understand the prohibition on alcohol. We are putting the J. W. out of a job. You can't see me but I'm smirking.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
On a side note sometimes I don't understand the prohibition on alcohol.

Neither do I but like Dave Ramsey often says "You don't have to get it, you just have to get it". He means you don't have to understand what your wife wants you just have to do what she wants or acquire what she wants. In our case it means we don't have to understand our GL rules we just have to follow them. As with any GL rule I disagree with the question I ask myself is - Am I willing to do the work to present legislation about this topic? That tends to include going through the line to have a vote at GL for the first topic so it's a very high hurdle for that first topic.