Recommending Comasonry

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by JJones, Jul 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

I have been in both. In my experience women do the work in the higher degrees better and with more understanding.

2. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

Why would you recommend a service organization?

3. goomba

Karen Kidd has a few books on the topic: https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Ground-...TF8&qid=1499760773&sr=8-1&keywords=karen+kidd

Also the Masonic Round Table has a few episodes on Co-Masonry.

Here's the bottom line for me. I, nor my grand lodge, owns Freemasonry and neither do you or yours. I can say what my "branch" of Freemasonry sets as the standard. But I have zero place saying what any other organization sets for its standard.

Just within my male only "branch" there is a vastness of what we recognize that so many don't realize. The one right off the bat is the Swedish Rite (that here we know about thanks to our Swedish Rite brothers and our own reading). But the ritual that most of us American Masons know and love is insanely different in other American lodges that practice the "same ritual". Not only that but there are other rituals that are vastly different from our already vastly different American ritual. There have been women Masons in our male only lodges for a long time.

I'm not advocating us merging or sharing fraternal relations. But to not acknowledge each others existence is being intellectually dishonest and brothers to be honest I've only ever heard that come from us.

What is Freemasonry? I do not know. But I hope to die with God knowing I tried to find out without knowingly violating my heart.

To our Co-Masonic poster I've visited your site before you posted about it. It's a great site. While our grand lodges do not share fraternal relations I can still consider you a Masonic brother. Will either of us violate our obligations nope. But to ignore a branch of our craft is just silly. From what I've heard Co-Masonry generally kicks our ass when it comes to education.

Bloke, chrmc, Roy_ and 1 other person like this.
  4. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Often?

MarkR likes this.
  5. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Freemasonry is a total-immersion virtual-reality live-action role-playing theatrical-society focused upon moral purposes and based upon the borrowed lexicon (vocabulary and symbols) and lore of stonecraft masons.

No one aspect of it is privately owned by one group; although many groups claim that they do. Don't spin your wheels on it though. They're just in character playing out their organization's scripts.

6. goomba

The longer I practice Masonry the more I find that to be so true.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

coachn likes this.
  7. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

????

8. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

I am finding that Masonry, in this instance (meaning) blue lodge, is more like my home base which I always return to, but allows me to explore numerous areas of interest/study. If I so choose, I could simply be there and allow my experience to be what Coachn states. I guess what I'm saying is it's 100% choice.

9. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Got it. Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

10. Warrior1256

Same here.
    Not in MHO.
    Lol!

11. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

This may be way off base here, but I'd have no problem with UGLE maybe recognizing some of the more 'fringe masonic' groups and allowing them into the Masonic family. A lot of those groups actually rent out or use Masonic lodges and share many similarities. However, that doesn't mean I would say women should be able to join blue lodges.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  12. Glen Cook

Well, to be clear, UGLE doesn't "recognise " feminine Freemasonry in the sense we use the word; to be in amity. And certainly not with co-ed groups

13. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

That's true, I've read that about OES specifically. They don't jive in England.

14. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Nothing in my Ob prevents me from guiding a woman to co- or female Masonry, so I have no problem doing it.
    Let's look at it another way: I can't play on the sports team I volunteer for but I can play the sport, and the athletes will help me find a team.

goomba and Ripcord22A like this.
  15. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

I think you getting confused here brother....to me the power to prevent is prevent it from happening within your GL....I could be wrong though

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

16. Glen Cook

And just a note: we Masons can't jive, but the ladies can and do.

CLewey44 likes this.
  17. Warrior1256

Absolutely! When someone asks why we do not admit women my reply is simply "Because we are a FRATERNITY!" Nuff said as far as I am concerned.

18. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

So... in your mind, our Freemasonry is no different than any other "Masonry lodge"? I do not understand this way of thinking. At best (to me), all the other "Freemasonry organizations" are emulating us, or in a not so generous term... playing pretend. At worst, they are actively deceiving people into thinking their organizations are the same as ours.

I've read over what I just wrote, and it sounds harsh. Maybe it's because I'm so new. If I offended anyone I apologize.

Warrior1256 and JJones like this.
  19. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Emulation is the best form of flattery.

LK600 likes this.
  20. Roy_

Roy_ Registered User

You're correct LK600, but this way of reasoning is a bit too simple. Say a new organisation is founded, this happens every now and then. It gets new members, founds new lodges, becomes a Grand Lodge and all goes well. In the beginning they're "playing pretend". After a while other Grand Lodges start to recognise the new organisation and suddenly they're no longer "playing pretend"? They used not to be Freemasons and suddenly they are? This is the history of Prince Hall and other organisations. This is also the reason that UGLE has said of one of the UK women's Grand Lodges that they will not be recognised, but they are "otherwise regular in their practice". Thus, 'real Freemasonry', but 'of another kind'.

Does no recognition by your own Grand Lodge say anything about "playing pretend"? Are members of the Grand Lodge of Georgia suddenly "pretenders" because some other Grand Lodges punish their organisation over their homosexuality standpoint (while others didn't pull recognition)?

I think we should judge organisations not on the opaque (and political) system of recognition, but see if organisation is "otherwise regular in their practice" and if they are, should not shy to recommend them to people who are interested, but can't join the organisation you're a member of yourself.

coachn, LK600 and CLewey44 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share My Freemasonry