My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruiting?

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
The state of Massachusetts has been running these open houses since 1988. The first was October, 1988, which at the Cambridge Temple we had close to fifty people come through the doors. This is one of the first times we had done this and many from the neighborhood never knew what the inside of the building looked like or even what we did? The last one was March,2010, which we had around 30 show up, and from that 4 candidates sign paperwork.

The Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts was always under the impression that you must ask first. They did an ivestigation a number of years ago and can not find anywhere in anything that a Mason can ask someone that they think is a good man that would make a good mason. Thus the Grand Lodge said that it was ok to ask, but use your head, heart, and mind, just don't go up to anyone off the street and pull them in. At the open house we have at least in Cambridge over the years signed up over 100 men into the five lodges. Many of these men still come to lodge and are active in the line. We also run the CHiP events that have phamplets and applications present for those that may be interested. I am still from the old school, and I believe a man should ask, but I also see the side of perhaps putting a little bug in his ear as well. Now ALL jurisdictions are different as well as Grand Constitutions so this may not work in Texas.

But Massachusetts is one of two last few years that have had a + to the membership, something we have not seen here since the early 60's. Our membership in the Lodges from an average age of 65-70 have dropped in some to 45. I see more young members as officers, most lines are the age of 25-30, and more and more are filling them without the use of PM's. There are +'s and -'s in everything, but it does work here in Massachusetts for the time being, we hold open houses twice a year, and we don't recuite per say, but again bringing someone down to an open house, a lodge function, or just have a dinner and invite some men you know does help. If it was not for the open houses and the new attitude, The Harvard lodge has in the last four years brought in over 300 men and still counting. It may not work for some, it may be against the rules for others, but it does work for us.

And as for the Georgy Grill, heck we give them the keys to a brand new caddy. Now how is that for an insentive!

Last edited:

cemab4y

Premium Member
Massachusetts has two (2) state-wide open houses each year. Normally October and April. Every lodge in the state, is open on a Saturday morning, coffee and donuts,etc.

The Boston TV and newspapers are distributed state-wide, so getting media coverage is fairly easy in a small state like Mass. A state-wide open house in Texas, would be quite an undertaking.

Some years ago, Virginia, had a "You would make a good Mason" program, where Masons in Virginia, were encouraged to "talk up" Masonry, among friends, co-workers, family,etc.

H

Huw

The rule here in UGLE is slightly looser than GLoTX, because we also allow a reminder: "There is no objection to a neutrally worded approach being made to a man who is considered a suitable candidate for Freemasonry. There can be no objection to his being reminded, once, that the approach was made. The potential candidate should then be left to make his own decision, without further solicitation" (UGLE Board of General Purposes, 1981).

However, our interpretation in practice appears to be fairly relaxed about solicitation. Approaching a man who appears suitable is positively encouraged ... and although that's meant to be a neutral approach in accordance with our rule, I get the impression that Brethren often go further than that without anyone drawing them aside and suggesting that they shouldn't do so.

T & F,

Huw

A7V

I have said it many times here and I still believe that less is more. Things should be going in the opposite direction, a purging instead of a recruitment.

I say this knowing full well I would be one of those purged..