My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reflection Chamber

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
I agree. I wouldn't want to be the one reading it in grand lodge. I bet the room would be quiet for a minute, though. It has been very controversial and read about a lot this year. :what:

Freemason Connect Mobile

chrmc

I agree. I wouldn't want to be the one reading it in grand lodge. I bet the room would be quiet for a minute, though. It has been very controversial and read about a lot this year. :what:

The sad thing is just that many people feel like this. We need to start having some of these discussion at Grand Lodge as part of the democratic process. A cornerstone of masonry is listening to opposing viewpoints and then making the best decision for the Craft as a whole.
That is what we owe ourselves, past and future generations of Masons.

scialytic

Premium Member
Sorry for the lack of replies, the notification e-mails have been going to my spam box for some reason. To answer the questions, yes, you can't play with the lights during the degree; we have a brother who liked to turn all of the lights off (with the exception of a couple) to create a more dramatic effect, after the forum it's not happening anymore. There was also something that was brought up in regards to the Bible, when it's open to the specific verses, the pages cannot be turned under no circumstances (even during the degrees). As Bro. BennyLee said, there are proper channels to get stuff changed/added, such as the chamber of reflection, do it properly. If anyone has the ability to attend a forum, please do so that way everyone can get the proper context on what I'm saying.

As with most things, "allowed" and "preferred" can be presented interchangably by those that are in positions to standardize things and feel compelled to do so. To my knowledge (confirmed by two separate DIs) the lights may beturned off and on at THE appropriate times. If you are being graded and you miss the timing it will get you dinged. It is not something that is "not allowed"--it just must be done properly.

There are many variations to the strict versions presented at forums. Forums are a GREAT thing. So are the slight traditional enhancents and points-of-emphasis. To talk in absolutes about an oral tradition is fairly absurd when there are over 800 Lodges with histories going back over 150 as a sovereign jurisdiction. I understand what you are conveying, but Lodges that have the Chaplain pray at the furniture at opening and closing will not likely change their routine. To them that is an appropriate focus and not something that will likely be successfully challenged. That is something that has evolved over time and is a very appropriate innovation in my mind--if it is one--but it definately is a departation from the "instructed" ritual.

I guess my point of this rambling is to point out that not all "innovation" or differences from what you'll hear about in Forums are not "bad" and it is how our Ritual historically functions. We are clearly averse to change, but Freemasonry does evolve, and it is necessary. Standardizing ritual instruction definately helps keep things from moving quicker by promoting a "standard" and convincing us "Newer-Masons" from subscribing to radical innovations. Travel often and you will see differences that have evolved under the purview of their Masters for decades, and that is the way it has always been...and will be.

Be wary of innovation, but not obstinate. Weigh it and determine its appropriateness in Masonry and your heart. Freemasonry is dynamic and will always be. It is in our nature as Freemasons. There is always bad in good, and good in bad (checkered pavement). So search into "innovations" (at least to Texas Ritual) like the CoR and find what is appropriate to be applied. Clearly anteroom is a place for introspection, maybe that is something that could be encouraged. Making that time a place of solemnity and focus will clearly benefit the Candidate. Maybe black walls, skulls, and candles is a bit much for your Lodge; but clearly the intention of the room is in keeping with Masonic tradition. We need to analyze and synthesize in order to further Masonry for ourselves and especially the Candidate. Whether something is sanctioned or not I always try to look at what can I pull from all things and apply to improve myself, which is why you'll see me ask stupid questions and throwing out whacky ideas, but what I walk away with is an improved prospective.

scialytic

Premium Member
As I mentioned in a previous post, this is a perfect example of a conversation that could (or should in my opinion based on the level of detail that we are delving into) be held in a private section for Master Masons only. I'm sure nothing is being violated, but one that is not otherwise privvy to the Forums in Texas may be able to extrapolate some very specific information from this thread. I'd suggest we try to be a little less direct in our descriptions here. I mean this to be a very respectful comment. I pray that it is received as such.

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
As with most things, "allowed" and "preferred" can be presented interchangably by those that are in positions to standardize things and feel compelled to do so. To my knowledge (confirmed by two separate DIs) the lights may beturned off and on at THE appropriate times. If you are being graded and you miss the timing it will get you dinged. It is not something that is "not allowed"--it just must be done properly.

There are many variations to the strict versions presented at forums. Forums are a GREAT thing. So are the slight traditional enhancents and points-of-emphasis. To talk in absolutes about an oral tradition is fairly absurd when there are over 800 Lodges with histories going back over 150 as a sovereign jurisdiction. I understand what you are conveying, but Lodges that have the Chaplain pray at the furniture at opening and closing will not likely change their routine. To them that is an appropriate focus and not something that will likely be successfully challenged. That is something that has evolved over time and is a very appropriate innovation in my mind--if it is one--but it definately is a departation from the "instructed" ritual.

I guess my point of this rambling is to point out that not all "innovation" or differences from what you'll hear about in Forums are not "bad" and it is how our Ritual historically functions. We are clearly averse to change, but Freemasonry does evolve, and it is necessary. Standardizing ritual instruction definately helps keep things from moving quicker by promoting a "standard" and convincing us "Newer-Masons" from subscribing to radical innovations. Travel often and you will see differences that have evolved under the purview of their Masters for decades, and that is the way it has always been...and will be.

Be wary of innovation, but not obstinate. Weigh it and determine its appropriateness in Masonry and your heart. Freemasonry is dynamic and will always be. It is in our nature as Freemasons. There is always bad in good, and good in bad (checkered pavement). So search into "innovations" (at least to Texas Ritual) like the CoR and find what is appropriate to be applied. Clearly anteroom is a place for introspection, maybe that is something that could be encouraged. Making that time a place of solemnity and focus will clearly benefit the Candidate. Maybe black walls, skulls, and candles is a bit much for your Lodge; but clearly the intention of the room is in keeping with Masonic tradition. We need to analyze and synthesize in order to further Masonry for ourselves and especially the Candidate. Whether something is sanctioned or not I always try to look at what can I pull from all things and apply to improve myself, which is why you'll see me ask stupid questions and throwing out whacky ideas, but what I walk away with is an improved prospective.

As long as you can benefit from something you see or hear in your travels, nothing is wasted. IMO, the "standardized" ritual is just that, "standardized", so that there is a guideline for all of us to follow in our degrees and opening and closing the Lodges. If we all gather around the Altar at closing for the Closing Charge and prayer, as is done in some lodges, then that is what, like you noted before, has evolved over the generations of Masters and Chaplains in those Lodges. I see nothing wrong or worrisome(?) about continuing to do it that way. We all take away from the Lodge something different each time we attend, because Masonry means something different to each of us and in different depths of the myth, symbols, and allagories. I am still finding things out about myself, with the help of Masonry, that I was not sure of.

Last edited:

JJones

Not trying to resurrect a dead thread but I've read on this thread (and elsewhere) that a COR is used in the Yorkrite ritual somewhere. Could someone direct me where to start looking to learn more about this, or at least point me to the correct body?

Please PM me if you can't say without giving away too much info.

dhouseholder

Here's an idea...

If a lodge wants to do a CoR, let them do it well before the time the candidate is ready for initiation. Does GL have a law determining what a lodge can do with a candidate before the degree? Is this a subversive idea?

crono782

Premium Member
I've heard it suggested to do it a couple hours or even a day prior. Hard to make the argument that its part ritual when it's not even the same night hah.

Freemason Connect Mobile

tomasball

Premium Member
It is a ceremony. Don't do ceremonies on candidates that aren't part of the prescribed Texas work. Yes, there is a COR in the York Rite. I don't think it would be appropriate to be more specific. If you want to see it, take the York Rite.

JJones

. If you want to see it, take the York Rite.

Brother, I have taken the York Rite, all the way through KT. That being said, my degrees were conferred in a festival which I spent the majority of sitting on the sidelines observing after working a nightshift the evening before.

I don't recall seeing or participating in a COR during the festival, which I why I asked.

dhouseholder

It is a ceremony. Don't do ceremonies on candidates that aren't part of the prescribed Texas work. Yes, there is a COR in the York Rite. I don't think it would be appropriate to be more specific. If you want to see it, take the York Rite.

Then why aren't Table Lodges verboten?

I understand that my line of questioning would certainly give my DDGM gray(er) hairs, but do you see my point here?

Moreover, I am surprised none of the Traditional Observance lodges are pushing for this.

JJones

Bro Tomasball brings up a good point about using a COR. Even if you claim you aren't using it as part of the ritual its still pretty iffy and actions like that may make it more difficult for such a practice to get accepted in the long run.

Has anyone seriously thought about making a proposal and going about it legitimately?

Freemason Connect Mobile

tomasball

Premium Member
Table Lodges were approved for use several years ago by a vote of Grand Lodge. It was presented in a commitee report, I think Membership Maintenance, talked over, and approved.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Here's an idea...

If a lodge wants to do a CoR, let them do it well before the time the candidate is ready for initiation. Does GL have a law determining what a lodge can do with a candidate before the degree? Is this a subversive idea?

It's too late for that for the next few years. Some lodge failed to understand what is and isn't a part of the ritual so they mixed it in the middle of the ritual. From this what people will remember is "chamber of reflection bad" not "mixing random stuff into the middle of ritual bad". It's the wrong lesson but it was triggered by the wrong implementation.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I believe it is to late this year to submit resolutions although it would be wise to present it in a year with a pro CoR GM is in the Grand East and if Brother Porter is correct looks like we will have one soon.
I was under the impression the ritual started with the knock on the door is that incorrect?
I can see how painting a room black and putting a bunch of mirrors in it could cause alarm in Texas and that was maybe to much but I am sure the intent was to enhance the new brothers experience and I sure hope he is not caught up in the middle of this tizzy. I wonder what else they did if they had instructions for the candidate or a task to complete before being initiated because it seems a little over bearing to care how the ante room is decorated or what mystical name a lodge chooses to give it. I know this has been an issue for quiet some time in our Grand jurisdiction and I never really understood who and why they had an issue with it. I know the CoW could not condone such actions because it is not specifically stating in our ritual to paint the ante room black and call it a CoR but what is curious is that so much energy is put into trying to legislate these problems away as opposed to educate.
With that said there is nothing wrong with letting the candidate absorb what was read to him from the monitor for an appropriate amount of time but the much more important portion is as brother tomasball said in that we need to be proficient in the tools we do have available to us before we start trying to fashion or retro fit old ones.

JJones

I agree Bro. dfreybur, there are certain channels and procedures that must be followed to have the CoR accepted. I know many of us Texans have a rebellious attitude sometimes but trying to circumvent GL law will ultimately do more harm than good to get it accepted.

A black room with mirrors and skulls may be too much for some, it's true. I feel it would at least be good, in my opinion, to get CoRs accepted along with official guidelines for their their use and furnishings. Even if it's just a dark anteroom with some of the less controversial symbolism (as opposed to being used as a storage room) it'd be a good start. Using one could be completely optional to the lodge and if it gains popularity or becomes more accepted then baby-steps could be taken to introduce the other elements.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I agree Bro. dfreybur, there are certain channels and procedures that must be followed to have the CoR accepted.

Thing is I've seen bible presentations and "knife and fork degrees" that were done with no conflict. It was because they were conducted at a point between the end of the degree and the beginning of the closing in the case of the bible presentation or after the closing in the case of knife and fork. We're supposed to teach when non-ritual action is allowed to take place. Had that teaching been followed I suggest this problem would never have happened.

I know many of us Texans have a rebellious attitude sometimes but trying to circumvent GL law will ultimately do more harm than good to get it accepted.

My initial reaction was "It happens outside of tile lodge and is therefore not a part of the ritual. That makes it outside of the bounds of rulings by the committee on work or the GM". Then I learned what had actually been done.

The problem was *not* actually doing a Chamber of Reflection. The problem was introducing in during the tiled ritual not at a point normally reserved for free form activities. I am not sure if the grand line used this mistake as an excuse to hammer Chamber of Reflection (bad move by unlearned brothers) or if it was because of screwing with ritual (good move by well learned brothers). Either way this debacle has ensured it needs legislation.

I have a long list of items I'd rather put forward for legislation most of which I'll never get around to before I would want to deal with restoring lost ritual items.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Ah I knew there was more to it than black paint and mirrors! ;)

Freemason Connect Mobile

JJones

Thing is I've seen bible presentations and "knife and fork degrees" that were done with no conflict. It was because they were conducted at a point between the end of the degree and the beginning of the closing in the case of the bible presentation or after the closing in the case of knife and fork. We're supposed to teach when non-ritual action is allowed to take place. Had that teaching been followed I suggest this problem would never have happened.

Ah, I didn't realize anyone was trying to use it during a tiled ritual. If a candidate had been put in a CoR well before the ritual started then it may have been a non-issue. It seems it'd be unwise to try and do that now since it's gotten the attention of the GL though.

I agree there are other matters that are probably more pressing which need to be addressed.