My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Grand Lodge be in the Public Eye More?

Should Grand Lodge be More in the Public Eye?

• Yes, it is the day and age we live in.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Yes, but I have a few restrictions to with it

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I could be talked into it with more details.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Not sure sounds real risky.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • No, there is a better answer

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • No, I think everything is just fine.

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I think there are better ways to make it into the public eye than advertising. News coverage for charitable acts, corner stone layings, processions and parades (Commandery specifically). I like all those options a lot, and I know here in Texas we don't make that big of a deal of those things when we do them.

So long as the West Gate is guarded, I don't care too much. But I'm definitely a quality over quantity kind of guy, and would rather have a lodge of 20 hard working bretheren, than 100 social club members.

(I'm also a believer that we don't have a recruitment problem, we have a retention problem, which is an entirely separate issue.)
I can agree with this. As long as we keep up the standards when considering a candidate I see nothing wrong with some good press to get us more in the public eye, especially to bring us to the attention of more young people. Just my opinion.

MaineMason

I've seen some advertising for Masonry on television from time to time here in New England. Usually with a competent actor playing Benjamin Franklin with an "Ask one to Be One" message and emphasizing Masonic history in the United States.

That's nice and all--I personally respond to that history, because I know it and, well, I'm a Freemason and four other generations of men in my family (at least) were before me--but I'm not sure what that does for people who don't know anything about our fraternity.

My blue lodge gained as many people as they lost (to death) in the last year as our annual report pointed out last night at our annual communication, though from the year before, that leaves us UP by two. We're an active part of the community in everything from our bean suppers to our blood drives to our participation in a large local festival of national recognition in the town where our lodge is. We're in better shape than many others, but still could be doing better. At least I can say that we have a full contingent of progressive officers. We just formed a committee last night to look into this issue of not only retention (which is difficult aside from line officers and other officers) and increasing our visibility in the community. Our newly-chartered DeMolay chapter will surely help as the boys are VERY serious (they suggested it as the nearest chapter was far away) and I suspect many of them, some of whom will attain their 18th birthday within the next year or two will draw them to petition the Lodge and already four more boys were initiatied into DeMolay last month who are attached now to our new chapter.