Shrine in Arkansas drops MM requirement

Discussion in 'Shrine' started by Brennan, Jul 1, 2013.

1. XUSMICO

XUSMICO Registered User

Exactly so. A Shriner will carry BL petitions with them, when asked how one becomes a Shriner, it looks like fun. The Shriner will say one has to first be a Mason. How do I become a Mason? You ask one. (the reason a hate the 2be1ask1 stickers) Can I become a Mason? The Shriner whips out the BL petition. Is it legal under the Masonic Code? Yes. Ethical NO. I can state this as FACT as I personally see happen, more than once. Is it petitioning a lodge for mercenary motives? IMHO if joining the BL only to member of the Shrine, YES. I will not waste my time coaching such a person.

jermy Bell likes this.
  2. XUSMICO

XUSMICO Registered User

3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

One of the lodges that I belong to, Suburban 740, meets every Thursday evening for regular lodge meetings. On months that have a 5th Thursday they have a family night dinner.

4. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

5. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

My California lodge opens twenty-four times a year every year, plus any Degrees we might do outside of that (rare). We also have twelve educational meetings. All thirty-six are required unless excused by the Master.

6. XUSMICO

XUSMICO Registered User

Years ago, after I left the Shrine, they began to have "open" initiations where family, girlfriends could attend what was previously closed rites. Next Shriner's wives began to put on "pink lodges" where they insulted the BL degree work by putting skits of what they thought the BL degrees were. I threw down the flag and was privately told, by Shriner's to back off it was just for fun. My retort: Don't make fun of BL sacred work. These are the same Brothers who ignore the rituals to substitute things they thought should be said and done over what was supposed to be said and done. All for "fun" not for the true meaning of the degree work. Took the fight to GL. That was useless as all the GL Officers were Shriners. Lost that fight. Short of bringing up 2/3s of the lodge on charges, that would have been a waste of time I began to look for a lodge that was true to the Masonic work. Those lodges are getting hard to find. If a Master tries to bring order back, the Shriners either make work too difficult or simply stop attending lodge until a Shrine friendly Master is in the chair.
    SHrine International bylaws require good standing in a BL. excommunicated Masons whom the SI allows to stay means SI is in direct violation of its' own rules. Things being what they are, SI needs to get out of Masonry, just as they did by dropping the SR or YR membership. Yes BLs will loose members but what have they lost? I know very few active Shrines who are regular active members of the BL. Not all but most raerly attend their BL after Shrine indoc.

jermy Bell likes this.
  7. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

Most lodges here open once a month and go dark during the summer, so that's usually 8 meetings a year.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

8. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Actually, Shrine bylaws do allow an expelled mason to remain a Shriner if the underlying offense was not a Shrine offense. We haven’t had that circumstance since Michigan in 2011.

You now know another Shriner who is an active blue lodge mason. In fact, all but two potentates of my Shrine Temple in the last 15 years are PMs. Two are PGMs.

Warrior1256 and Bill Lins like this.
  9. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I think one of the wonderful things about Freemasonry is it affords many places for a man to find *his* place. I think Craft Lodges should be grateful for the support non-attending but financial members give it. I think that happens for a lot of reasons, but if one is because the Craft is not interesting enough to hold those members to it, that is not the "Other Orders" or members failing, it's the Craft Lodge's failing.

I don't blame other orders for "taking our members away", I take responsibility for making my Craft lodge interesting and enjoyable so people want to come, and if they cannot, then making them feel it is important enough not to resign, not because they need it to be a member of another Order, but because the Craft needs to be supported because it is so important.

I encourage men to join other Orders, but also to find their own path and time frame in that, especially as the Craft is deep and takes time to really comprehend - and you need to be able to do that to properly live its values.

bupton52, Warrior1256 and Bill Lins like this.

Share My Freemasonry