My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shrine in Arkansas drops MM requirement

RiverRatDoc

It wouldn't be a petition. Apparently he already is a MM.
In the case you're presenting, this individual is seeking Plural Membership.
Without any additional info, my hunch is that he is suspended or expelled.
Until he is in good standing with Lodge & Grand Lodge, he is not 'free to travel'.
That's a basic MM obligation.

RiverRatDoc

Depending on cable tow rules, it is likely that GLofAR has no power to block the petition. Usual cable tow rules say that a candidate may petition any lodge in a 50 mile radius of his home without any other lodge being able to object, though the number of miles varies jurisdiction to jurisdiction. It is often a tradition not a formal ruling.

These aren't 'cable-tow' rules. These are rules spelled out in each GL Book of Constitutions.

Membership in different districts (in same Jurisdiction ) is referred to as DUAL membership.
Membership in 2 different Jurisdictions is referred to as PLURAL membership

Each GL Constitution is different regarding these rules. Refer to your State or Jurisdiction Constitution book.

Remember your MM obligation

dfreybur

Premium Member
These aren't 'cable-tow' rules. These are rules spelled out in each GL Book of Constitutions.

The situation cited was an MM with a current membership in some jurisdiction other than AR applying for affiliation to a lodge not an AR constituent lodge. Though a resident of AR the rules of AR do not apply to him. Maybe not yet, maybe not ever. Any cable tow rules would be from that jurisdiction not from GLofAR. Objections from GLofAR would only have effect if the jurisdiction he is petitioning for affiliate chooses to have effect - My report about cable tow was discussion of how such a jurisdiction might decide whether the GLofAR has any authority to object.

As a member of jurisdictions other than GLofAR the rules of my jurisdictions not the rules of GLofAR apply to me except when I am actually in a tiled lodge on a visit to a GLofAR constituent lodge. Clearly many brothers have noticed that's how it works as many have transferred out of the jurisdiction.

Rifleman1776

Many have transferred out of Arkansas, I am one of them. But, that is past tense. No more. The GM interprets the Arkansas law as giving him the power to deny any demit or transfer out of Arkansas to any MM residing the state. Sorry situation.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor

Membership in different districts (in same Jurisdiction ) is referred to as DUAL membership.
Membership in 2 different Jurisdictions is referred to as PLURAL membership

Each GL Constitution is different regarding these rules. Refer to your State or Jurisdiction Constitution book.

Remember your MM obligation
Citation to the definitions of plural and dual?

As a note, some (well, one) might find it off putting to be instructed as to their obligation.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Many have transferred out of Arkansas, I am one of them. But, that is past tense. No more. The GM interprets the Arkansas law as giving him the power to deny any demit or transfer out of Arkansas to any MM residing the state. Sorry situation.

Authority is what the rules allow you to do. In this case the rules of the jurisdictions of border states not the rules of AR. No GM has the authority to deny any demit by any brother current on his dues and in good standing, unless voted as such at Annual Communication. Even then no other jurisdiction is ever required to grant him that authority.

Power is what you can get away with. The border states need to man up and not grant him a power that is outside of his authority.

Very sad situation that shows the problems an errant jurisdiction can cause.

Rifleman1776

I thought you were naive until the last sentence. Yes, for Arkansas, the word "errant" fits. Met another MM this morning just moved here from Texas. He will now have to go through the same hasssle if he wishes to move his Lodge membership. His current Lodge is still Texas. He hasn't asked, but when I see him next I'll suggest he keep it there and simply visit with the rest of us at our Missouri Lodge as he is also a Shriner.

RiverRatDoc

Citation to the definitions of plural and dual?

As a note, some (well, one) might find it off putting to be instructed as to their obligation.

Sir

The qualifier statement regarding definitions was in the next sentence.

I didn't mean to be 'off putting', but a lot of jurisprudence issues come down to each Jurisdiction's constitutions, by laws, & edicts.

If it was taken wrong, 'mea culpa frater'.

Rifleman1776

Sir

I didn't mean to be 'off putting', but a lot of jurisprudence issues come down to each Jurisdiction's constitutions, by laws, & edicts.

No problem. The situation in Arkansas is such that candid discussion, meaning speaking truthfully, may go over the line of never speaking ill of a Brother MM. That is one obligation I have never fully understood. I mean, if an MM has a wart on his nose and I say, "He has a wart on his nose", is that speaking ill of him? I simply feel restrained from speaking candidly about the people in the Arkansas Grand Line and their behavior over the past several years.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Sir

I'm aware of Masonic jurisprudence, thus my request for a citation to the definitions for dual and plural.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
No problem. The situation in Arkansas is such that candid discussion, meaning speaking truthfully, may go over the line of never speaking ill of a Brother MM. That is one obligation I have never fully understood. I mean, if an MM has a wart on his nose and I say, "He has a wart on his nose", is that speaking ill of him? I simply feel restrained from speaking candidly about the people in the Arkansas Grand Line and their behavior over the past several years.
Good thing that's not in any of my obligations.

RiverRatDoc

I'm aware of Masonic jurisprudence, thus my request for a citation to the definitions for dual and plural.

By stating 'each Jurisdictions Constitutions, by laws, and edicts', that is your reference point.

I'm not naive to assume one states definitions apply to all other 49 in CONUS.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
By stating 'each Jurisdictions Constitutions, by laws, and edicts', that is your reference point.

I'm not naive to assume one states definitions apply to all other 49 in CONUS.

Hmm. Let me try it this way: did you just make up these definitions of dual and plural? If not, where do you find them?

RiverRatDoc

Per my constitution book, sections 478-503 speak to dual membership (both affiliated & non affiliated).

I'm at a function, out of town. I have copies of my packet when I applied for 'plural membership'
[ forms, how it flowed, ejudication of request].

Please accept this small start until I have all notebooks within reach.

RiverRatDoc

ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry1443839907.531427.jpg