My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sovereign Grand Lodge of Egypt

sgle

ANNOUNCEMENT:
It is with the greatest of honours and pride that we are able to formally announce to Brethren around the World that, In the Name of GAOTU, and by the authority invested in us as Regularly Constituted Master Masons of Recognised Orders, and being of Egyptian origin, we have hereby on the date of the 24th of June, 2013 Anno Domini, 6013 Anno Lucis concurred unanimously our Declaration to Resurrect the National Grand Lodge of Egypt, to be renamed the Sovereign Grand Lodge of Egypt. This document is made up of 5 pages and includes the guidelines and key charges and principles of the Resurrection and Grand Lodge, including those which govern Regular and Recognised Freemasonry around the world.

Due to the nature of our Resurrection, which is different than the establishment of a new Grand Lodge, it was imperative that we first take this step before consecrating independent Lodges, 2 of which are planned for the second half of this year, and another in early 2014.

As such, we have also held nominations and elections for Officers who are key to the Resurrection, those being:

1) The Most Worshipful Grand Master M.Fa.
2) The Right Worshipful Grand Treasurer: K.Az.
3) The Right Worshipful Grand Secretary: M. Fah.

Our M:. W:. Grand Master has in turn appointed the following Grand Lodge Officers:
4) The Right Worshipful Grand Chancellor: D.Wh.
5) The Right Worshipful Grand Director of Ceremonies: C.Ne
6) The Right Worshipful Grand Mentor: N. Jo.
7) The Right Worshipful Grand Tyler: A.Ri

Further appointments will be forthcoming shortly.

We will be reaching out to Grand Lodges around the world in due course, to re-establish Amity agreements with those whom we already had relationships with, and to confirm new ones accordingly. It is important to note Brethren that this a unique Masonic situation, and we have been in very close contact with various Grand Lodges around the world in the run up to this announcement, in order to maintain transparency and preserve harmony in our International Brotherhood.

For any questions regarding SGLE, we ask you to please communicate with our Grand Secretary via email at secretary@sgle.org

Aeelorty

This is great to hear. Best wishes to the Brethren of Egypt and to all the people of Egypt

jwhoff

Premium Member
The best of wishes for the people of Egypt. I have nothing but good reports from family members and friends as to their treatment by the Egyptian people while on work assignments there. The world owes you much from antiquity.

It is my wish that you are governed by your choice of leadership and that you live in peace with your neighbors and the world as a whole.

May the GAOTU shine his blessing down upon you.

JJones

Unfortunately, this new Grand Lodge is not recognised by my own Grand Lodge.

If I understood correctly, this is likely because they are just now re-establishing them self and have yet to obtain recognition from any other Grand Lodges.

If this is legitimate I say good for them. :)

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
If I understood correctly, this is likely because they are just now re-establishing them self and have yet to obtain recognition from any other Grand Lodges.

If this is legitimate I say good for them. :)

Freemasonry in Egypt was previously organised under District Grand Lodges of Scotland and England until 1964 when Freemasonry was sadly outlawed in Egypt and these English and Scottish Lodges went dark. If the government had repealed its previous laws it is very likely that the first move of any regular Freemasons would have been to reopen those old Lodges, so it must be assumed that this is a very new organisation.

So to my mind it immediately is under suspicion as it is very unusual for a new "regular" Grand Lodge to announce itself through internet Forums. As the usual protocol is through their sponsor Grand Lodges, and generally all other regular are notified and invited to the consecration, it is at this point the new Grand Lodge would apply for recognition. According to the poster this Grand Lodge is already in operation so if it asked for recognition from my Grand Lodge it has not given OR this is just totally bogus.

polmjonz

Hopefully this is true and recognized freemasonry can gain a foothold in this region.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Where did these Grand Lodge officers come from? Are they from recognized Grand Lodges?

S&F,
-Bro Vick

tomasball

Premium Member
SGLE, are you the Grand Master of this body, the Grand Secretary, or both?

Do you actually have any lodges currently meeting on Egyptian soil?

tomasball

Premium Member
I agree with Mike Martin that it's interesting this body has decided to announce itself primarily over the Interwebs, which unavoidably invites comparison to bogus bodies that have come along which are little more than a very slick website. I would note, however, that the premier Grand Lodge of England announced its formation in a blurb in a London newspaper (I'm in a hurry, and can't find the reference).
The Facebook page for this outfit says that they consider themselves older than the Grand Loge of England, and therefore aren't worried about getting their recognition. I also notice that their Facebook page has a lot to say about political events in Egypt, although I would admit that these days that's pretty hard to ignore.
The thing that interests me most is the eagerness of internet masons to offer congratulations and advice to this body without any evidence that it is anything more than a couple of guys with a good story. One Texas mason posted a note on their FB page saying "... if you need a contact for the Grand Lodge of Texas, USA please let me know!" as if any legitimate body would have any trouble finding our Grand Lodge offices.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Yes.

And let me be clear as to my post on this website. It was in support of the people of Egypt, not in recognition of this or any body proposing to hold masonic affiliations with any recognized grand jurisdiction holding allegiance to the Grand Lodge of England.

We should all be most careful and await our grand jurisdictions' formal recognitions.

Good post brother!

Raymond Walters

Premium Member
THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS WERE GIVEN IN THE ORIGINAL POST TO QUESTIONS I NOTICED WERE ASKED;

[Due to the nature of our Resurrection, which is different than the establishment of a new Grand Lodge, it was imperative that we first take this step before consecrating independent Lodges, 2 of which are planned for the second half of this year, and another in early 2014.]

[We will be reaching out to Grand Lodges around the world in due course, to re-establish Amity agreements with those whom we already had relationships with, and to confirm new ones accordingly. It is important to note Brethren that this a unique Masonic situation, and we have been in very close contact with various Grand Lodges around the world in the run up to this announcement, in order to maintain transparency and preserve harmony in our International Brotherhood.

For any questions regarding SGLE, we ask you to please communicate with our Grand Secretary via email at secretary@sgle.org]

It is my personal understanding that this proposed GL is legitimate and is handling it's official communication properly regarding re-establishing recognition with GL's that previously recognized it.

My source: a former member from Egypt who now resides in Florida.

tomasball

Premium Member
So far they've stated a few things as fact. They are a Grand Lodge with eleven members, of whom "the majority" are Egyptian. They do not yet have any lodges, but plan to consecrate two later this year. Their Facebook presence is operated by one Dr. Mohab Fahmi, and Egyptian living in Malta. (They list "M. Fa." as their Grand Master, and alse a "M. Fah." as Grand Secretary.) Their Facebook page has endorsed the overthrow of the Morsy government.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS WERE GIVEN IN THE ORIGINAL POST TO QUESTIONS I NOTICED WERE ASKED;

It is my personal understanding that this proposed GL is legitimate and is handling it's official communication properly regarding re-establishing recognition with GL's that previously recognized it.

My source: a former member from Egypt who now resides in Florida.

My concerns is that it comes across as the same as the Regular Grand Lodge of North Carolina, which put out similar notices of its regularity and had a long list of "Grand" Lodge officers. This is the scam where an Army SFC was selling the Memphis Rite in Iraq for $1500 to troops over there and making them "96 degree" masons.

They put out a similar list for the Regular Grand Lodge of Texas, no one on that list even existed in the state of Texas, and was later all completely taken down.

I do hope it is legitimate, but wouldn't want anyone to be taken by another Masonic scam.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Ecossais

Historically, new grand lodges have been created by a number of different methods:

1.) By a declaration of independence by an existing provincial grand lodge, which then became an independent grand lodge;

2.) By a convention of lodges where no provincial grand lodge existed, or where a provincial grand lodge had become inactive;

3.) By a general assembly of Masons, no lodges or provincial grand lodge(s) being involved; and

4.) By a charter from another grand lodge.

In order for a new grand lodge to gain fraternal recognition from regular grand lodges it is necessary, in all the above cases, that the provincial grand lodges, lodges and individual Masons involved are regular, and that means that they all hold warrants, charters, patents and memberships in other regular grand lodges.

Furthermore, it is necessary that the new grand lodge meets all the requirements of regularity, which may be identified in three categories: Autonomy (that it is supreme unto itself and does not share its authority with any other body, like a Supreme Council or a Grand Priory, etc.), Legitimacy of Origin (that its original constituting members and/or lodges are regular), and Legitimacy of Practice (that it practices regular Freemasonry as prescribed in any number of "Standards of Recognition" or "Standards of Regularity" as published by various regular entities (the grand lodges of Scotland, England and Ireland, or the Conference of Grand Masters of North America).

This last, Legitimacy of Practice is a list of regular practices that includes: Non-Masons are not permitted to attend lodge meetings when the lodges are at labor, lodges must be comprised of men only, a Belief in Deity as a requirement for membership, obligations must be taken on or in full view of the V.S.L., the three great lights must be present in the lodge room at all times when the lodge is at labor, the Hiramic legend and the symbolism of Solomon's Temple are indispensable parts of the ritual, the use of Masonic working tools to teach moral and social virtues, a grand lodge must exercise exclusive Masonic authority over the geographic territory it occupies OR it may share the same by mutual agreement with another grand lodge by formal treaty or compact, it must observe the Ancient Landmarks, etc.

Note: Unfortunately, the GL of TX does not meet the first of the requirements of regularity listed above.

In the event that a new grand lodge is formed without any constituent lodges (as in No. 3, above), it would be the duty of the newly installed Grand Master to issue dispensations for new lodges at the earliest possible opportunity.

tomasball

Premium Member
Ecossais, the Sovereign Grand Lodge of Egypt claims to be a revival of a previous body, the National Grand Lodge of Egypt, which had recognition from at least some other jurisdictions. I note that they do not claim to have any current members who were members of that former body. Is there a precedent for this? I know that several European grand lodges have been formed in the last decade or so in countries where previously there had been Grand Lodges or Orients which demised. Also, weren't there American grand lodges which demised and then reformed following the Morgan excitement?

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
the Sovereign Grand Lodge of Egypt claims to be a revival of a previous body, the National Grand Lodge of Egypt, which had recognition from at least some other jurisdictions.
Just for clarity the National Grand Lodge of Egypt was not recognised by the UGLE at any time during its existence before 1956

Reactions: MBC

tomasball

Premium Member
Note: Unfortunately, the GL of TX does not meet the first of the requirements of regularity listed above.

It's a little hard to make out which requirement you mean. It appears you are saying that the GL of TX does not meet the autonomy requirement. I suppose you would have a point, in that one may not wield political power in the GL of TX if you are not a member of the Masonic Rosicrucians.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Historically, new grand lodges have been created by a number of different methods:

2.) By a convention of lodges where no provincial grand lodge existed, or where a provincial grand lodge had become inactive;

It is my understanding that the Grand Lodge of Texas was formed by the method outlined by your #2 above, and is therefore regular.