Square

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Ripcord22A, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Is it a PHA thing to refer to other MM as square? Ive never experienced it till i joined this board......more so it seems those from "clandestine" lodges are the ones that say it......thoughts?

2. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

I have heard this phrase used by both PHA & Non-PHA mason, it is a common phrase used by masons in the US. as far as it being a clandestine thing this is the first time I heard of that ???

Bro. Stewart P.M. and BigDre357 like this.
  3. David N.

David N. Premium Member

I have only seen it online, used by PH Masons. I've never heard it in real life.

4. BroBook

BroBook Premium Member

First started hearing it maybe ten years ago, I think it is a undercover way of seeing if you know what you wearing.

5. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

A common phrase? I've not heard it.

MBC likes this.
  6. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I have heard it before, mostly from the PHA side of TX Masonry. Never bothered me to hear it, once I got used to hearing it.

Just another friendly way of greeting another Brother, that exposes nothing and recognizes the Fraternal connection.

7. Ripcord22A

I doesnt bother me either. Ive only heard it on here and noticed that mostly those that say it seem to be from 4letter pha lodges

8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Never heard this before.

9. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I don't believe that it's only limited to a specific group. There is a mixed bag of Masonic grouped Brethren at my work, it is most certainly mainstream & irregular PHA related.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  10. Ripcord22A

Thanks Bro Stewart

11. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Eternal Apprentice Premium Member

Do you mean "On the Square" rather than just "square"?

If yes it is very common on both sides of the Atlantic, as we all tend to meet and sometimes part on the Square.

MBC and mrpierce17 like this.
  12. Ripcord22A

No i mean "Square"....look through the forum there alot of PHA brethren from both regular and recognized and clandestine lodges that say things like "thanks Square"

13. brother josh

brother josh Registered User

Hear it often been called it a time or two by regular and irregular

mrpierce17 likes this.
  14. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

So.....what does it really mean when someone says "Hello Squire"? Am not at all familiar with this.

15. mrpierce17

Just another way to say hello from one brother to another travel long enough and you will hear it

16. amaya14

amaya14 Registered User

I will keep my ear open for this phrase, this is my first time reading about

17. mrpierce17

Funny how a phrase/word I have seen used in many Doo-wop movies ,and has probably been around far before then to describe a upright rule abiding person ,could have found its way in to a noble and honorable fraternity such as ours ,and then like so many things lost in time and translation disappeared. It blew my mind when I thought about it after becoming a Mason .

amaya14 likes this.
  18. amaya14

amaya14 Registered User

I just realized that I have heard the square word outside the Masonic world. In my military career I always heard of this word but I just realized it was just to keep me in the same level as everyone else.

This is great education.

19. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

I've never seen or heard of a "4 letter" Prince Hall lodge. If I'm not mistaken, Prince Hall Affiliated are all F&AM. I could be wrong though.

20. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

Although it is more common among Prince Hall Affiliated brothers, all it means is they recognize you are a mason. Another way of saying "hello brother"

Warrior1256 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry